Replace spark plugs (1982 C10 Inline 6, 4.1L)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownie82C10

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
4.1L Inline 6
My regular truck fix-it place wants way too much money to replace the spark plugs in my '82 Chevy, so I thought I would do it myself. The back four plugs are easy to get to, but the front two are not. Can anyone provide the how-to steps for plug replacement or provide a link to a video that shows the best way to do this? Many thanks.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

DBarre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250c.i./4.1L
If you have a/c on the truck it is difficult to get the front spark plug. You'll probably have to loosen or remove the a/c compressor bracket from the engine. Then with the correct spark plug socket and about a 6" extension on a ratchet, you can get the plug out of there. The number 2 plug should be easy with the 6" extension. Hopefully whoever put those plugs in there didn't go crazy tightening them down.

Brownie82C10

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
4.1L Inline 6
Thanks, DBarre. Yep, I have A/C on this one. I'm not sure I feel confident messing around with that.

DBarre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250c.i./4.1L
Have you worked on cars before? These straight sixes are simple beasts once you get past the emissions stuff.

Try the hardest plug first without moving the a/c bracket. If you can't get it, the hoses have some flex in them and you don't need much room to get a socket in there. You can just loosen the bolts without taking them completely out. I think if you get in there, you'll figure it out.

Pictures are good if you need more specific help.

Brownie82C10

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
4.1L Inline 6
I've done relatively simple repairs and upgrades on several vehicles through the years, but I wouldn't call myself a mechanic. I would call myself impatient and sorely lacking in time to take on projects like these. My usual fix-it place (a national chain) wants $100 for the labor to change the spark plugs and almost $70 for the plugs. I think both of those charges are outrageous. I bought the plugs I needed for less than $17.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
If you are unsure you can do it, find a friend, neighbor that can help you.

Brownie82C10

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
4.1L Inline 6
I used to have a neighbor — a really good mechanic for the local school district — who worked on this truck and other older vehicles for me, but he's moved away. I don't have anyone else to call on.

Thanks for corresponding.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Spark plug sockets often have a hex shape on the drive side. Sometimes you can slip the socket on the plug, then use a regular open end wrench to turn the socket. This is helpful when a ratchet wont fit on the end of the socket due to clearance issues.

Reactions: WFO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue