Replace Parking Lights with Hella 550 Fog Lamps on an '87 R10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
You want brighter lights still, install LED replacements for the 9003 light bulbs you have now. Available on Amazon.

semperfido

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thank you sincerely for the suggestion Dan but I'm not a fan of the aftermarket LED headlights.

A great deal of engineering goes into designing regulatory compliant headlights with optimal beam patterns and frankly, just about any monkey with a soldering iron and access to cheap components from China through Alibaba (or even Amazon these days) can hobble together an "LED headlight." There are too many "shady" aftermarket LED headlight manufacturers out there. I'd hate to install an LED headlight, get pulled over by law enforcement, and then have to explain to a judge how my new LED headlights from China/Amazon are DOT approved and street legal. Worse yet if I get into an accident; then I'd have to prove it to an insurance company.

Also, "more" is not always "better" when it comes to throwing light out in front of a vehicle with oncoming traffic. There may be legitimate, DOT approved and street legal aftermarket LED headlights out there for our application (perhaps made by names that we can trust like Philips or Sylvania), but it's difficult to find them through the haystack of "shady" Asian products flooding the Internet.

That said, I think that some LED products are good for interior lighting and arguably, a few select aftermarket LED products may be great for signal lighting (if they're DOT approved and made by trusted names including Philips or Sylvania).

I'm not "bashing" your suggestion. I just don't necessarily want to get to know local law enforcement on a first name basis ;0)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don