Replace Axle Bearing and Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Have a 1984 GMC High Sierra 4x4 with fairly new rear end ...it has Jegs axle shafts installed. I noticed I was leaking a great deal of gear oil from driver side rear wheel from bottom of brake drum. I removed the rear axle shaft and put in new seal...seal I took out looked brand new as it should since the Jegs axle shaft were fairly new...I test drove it...no leak. Then after a few more trips mostly longer trips where I guess the oil heated up nice and good...I noticed it leaking again. I did clean out "pressure release hose"... thinking I may have put to much oil in there and it couldn't get out thru hose so it was coming out of seal...I basically filled it with oil until it started draining out fill hole. Anyway...it stopped leaking oil so I thought maybe it was low on oil...I checked ...the oil wasn't all the way to fill hole where it came out if I removed the plug screw but I could stick my little finger in there and oil reached my second knuckle. I have been told that should be enough oil in there, others have told me it needs to drain out if you take plug bolt out.

Anyway...now I have this grinding squeaky noise and sometimes like a poping noise as well coming from the wheel. Is it possible I could have a bad bearing and had one all along or at least starting to go bad and causing the seal to go bad...and thus start leaking and now it's shot thus making the grinding noises?

How many bearings do I have to replace...one or two...didn't know if I have to remove all those brake shoe springs or is the bearing right there with the seal I replaced? If it's a bearing.

Last edited:

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Does the axle have any horizonal or verticle movement in it? That would indicate a bad bearing for sure. Did any of the gear oil get on the brakes? You should be able to remove the bearing with a slide hammer. If you don't have one you can do the loan a tool program at most parts stores.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Good point bout the tire "play" I'll check that out...and yeah...oil did get on brakes...I cleaned them best I could...guess my biggest question is...if I've already replaced the seal...as far as replacing the bearing...if I get the tool you mentioned...is the bearing right there visible..meaning once the axle shaft is taken out ...will I have any problems getting to the bearing...do I have to take apart any of the brake springs/components....and is there just one bearing to replace I guess? I can't find any good diagrams on the web to show what I'm getting into as far replacing the bearing....

Thanks for your reply.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Once you get the axle out you should be able to see the bearing. There is only one bearing. The inner bearing is on the carrier and should not need to be replaced. You do have a C-clip diff right?? I think I would look at replacing the brake liners on that side if they were oil soaked.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes...it's a C clip diff...and you answered my main question...I really wanted to know if I had to replace the inner bearing or not...thanks dude...appreciate the help and the video links.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well it turned out being bad bearing...I'm still fighting on how to get it out...it's seized up...long story short...I've got some options...but my main thing is...I totally screwed up I think.

Long story short...cold weather hit...I only had half my truck in garage cause I didn't think I'd have the troubles with getting bearing out...so...we wanted to get truck all the way in garage...so..here's the dumb ass part on my part...I put axle back in, threw tire and a couple lug nuts on and planned to push truck back a few feet...well I forgot I didn't put c clips and pin back in so the one spider gear fell out and the other is stuck between the differential case and a part that has some springs on it...I guess for limited slip? Anyway...I'll include a pic in a little while...but what am I running into if I have to take out the rest of the spider gears to get the one of the two spider gears unstuck under the "spring" part.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot...what is understood doesn't need to be discussed. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue