Removing Trans and T-Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As long as you aren't a super scrawny guy and this is a 208 tcase, you don't need a jack to pull it off. When all 6 bolts are removed holding the case to the adapter it will still hang up there on the input shaft. Get a good grip on it and you can slide it off and lift it to the ground. With it being an aluminum case it isn't real heavy. I just pulled mine by myself last week.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I let it drain overnight - t-case is on with 3 bolts that are half loose and ATF was coming out of the front end pretty steady. Drive shafts are all out - just need to lower the t-case out now. Will probably do as was suggested and pull the motor-trans out together. Not much left and its a straight shot with little to nothing in the way.

The trans not having a drain plug in the pan cracks me up....brilliant. Maybe did it for weight reduction? lol New pan will have a drain plug.

Will almost be cheating going back in on an open frame. :hat: Probably wont be til next year though.

Looking at that pic....think I need a little longer brake line on the right side too.

If you have fluid pouring out of the adapter between the T-case and transmission, you have a blown output seal on the transmission. You've probably been pumping trans fluid into your t-case for a while now and it is full up with it. Have you drained the T-case yet?

I might have missed it, but what engine/trams/transfer are you working with? If its a cast iron transfer, I'd definitely pull the whole thing together. Just jack up the transfer and pull the whole crossmember and mount off. Then you can lift the whole thing out with the cherry picker since the front end is all off.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
If you have fluid pouring out of the adapter between the T-case and transmission, you have a blown output seal on the transmission. You've probably been pumping trans fluid into your t-case for a while now and it is full up with it. Have you drained the T-case yet?

I might have missed it, but what engine/trams/transfer are you working with? If its a cast iron transfer, I'd definitely pull the whole thing together. Just jack up the transfer and pull the whole crossmember and mount off. Then you can lift the whole thing out with the cherry picker since the front end is all off.

Iirc, a 208 uses transmission fluid, doesnt it? They just flow thru one another? I might be wrong, and I also have no idea what kinda case he's even got in the truck.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Iirc, a 208 uses transmission fluid, doesnt it? They just flow thru one another? I might be wrong, and I also have no idea what kinda case he's even got in the truck.

No, the transfer case is unpressurized, the transmission will have pressurized fluid at the output seal. If the seal is bad, you will push fluid into the transfer case until it is completely full and it will also run the transmission low of fluid. In transfer cases that are supposed to run on Gear oil it's even worse because they will then be full of a sludge of gear oil and trans fluid. There should never be any fluid between the transmission and transfer case, even if they use the same fluid... which is why you have a fill plug and drain plug on the transfer case.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
No, the transfer case is unpressurized, the transmission will have pressurized fluid at the output seal. If the seal is bad, you will push fluid into the transfer case until it is completely full and it will also run the transmission low of fluid. In transfer cases that are supposed to run on Gear oil it's even worse because they will then be full of a sludge of gear oil and trans fluid. There should never be any fluid between the transmission and transfer case, even if they use the same fluid... which is why you have a fill plug and drain plug on the transfer case.

Ya know, that was ABSOLUTELY THE STUPIDEST QUESTION I'VE ASKED ON THIS FORUM!
I wasn't even thinking, OF COURSE the transmission must maintain pressure.

What a tard (me)

I SHOULD have thought about that, as much as I've had my hands in transmissions lately.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/TH400/208C (aluminum). 2 floor jacks, brute strength and lots of ignorance got it out. I did drain the t-case - and if there's a seal that could be blown, I guarantee you it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:hat: Probably wont be til next year though.

Ohh boy. This is always how the end begins. 20 years from now you'll be telling some stranger at your front door, " It ran when I parked it."

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ohh boy. This is always how the end begins. 20 years from know you'll be telling some stranger at your front door, " It ran when I parked it."

You live on Earth with human like weather. I'm currently sentenced to NW OH / SE MI.....where 3-4 months a year without an environmental suit or aqua lung is about all you get. Not having a shop just kills it.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ya know, that was ABSOLUTELY THE STUPIDEST QUESTION I'VE ASKED ON THIS FORUM!
I wasn't even thinking, OF COURSE the transmission must maintain pressure.

What a tard (me)

I SHOULD have thought about that, as much as I've had my hands in transmissions lately.

:happy175:

Its all good man... I can't begin to list all the times I just responded to something offhand and then when I went back to look at what I had posted later on went :wtf:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
:happy175:

Its all good man... I can't begin to list all the times I just responded to something offhand and then when I went back to look at what I had posted later on went :wtf:

I've been doing that alot lately, about 12 beers in, like posting redundant statements, saying dumb ****, then I gotta go bCk later, either apologize, delete it, or just admit I'm not thinking straight.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
350/TH400/208C (aluminum). 2 floor jacks, brute strength and lots of ignorance got it out. I did drain the t-case - and if there's a seal that could be blown, I guarantee you it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

The 208 does use transmission fluid inside though. I still maintain that @Bextreme04 LOL

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
You live on Earth with human like weather. I'm currently sentenced to NW OH / SE MI.....where 3-4 months a year without an environmental suit or aqua lung is about all you get. Not having a shop just kills it.

There's nothing human like about his AZ heat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224