Removing pen stripes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayBird

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Does anyone have suggestions for removing pen stripes? At some point the previous owner put a grey pen stripe on the sides of my truck and it doesnt look good on top of it getting old and brittle.

I have a 2 tone colored truck ... they put it where the color meets.

Im not so much worried about picking the bottom stripe off because im about to get some chrome side trim for it.

I've picked the front passenger side fender and door stripe off ..

Just need some tips or tricks

Thanks

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I was reading up on this the other day because I was considering taking mine off too.

I have read that a hair dryer along with a steady hand pulling it off at a steady rate and using a acetone free cleaner on a cotton ball to get rid of the excess adhesive left behind.

Really depends on how bad of shape its in though, if is was really brittle and cracked and you don't care about your paint as much as some folks might, I would just use warm water and a flat blade razor.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Usually a hair dryer held up close will release the adhesive. Start at one end and pick at the edges with your fingernail. Once you get it started, go slow and you should be able to get a continuous peel going.

You can use a heat gun for faster results, but be careful - keep the setting low to avoid damaging the underlying paint.

If you have a lot of pinstriping to remove (or it is really glued on tight), try this tool. It attaches to a hand drill and comes with a 3/8" mandrel:

You must be registered for see images attach

It is called a Stripe Off Wheel - made by 3M and available at some autoparts stores. O'Reilly's, for example. They list it as stock no. 7498.

3M

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have an air tool that takes different styles of wheels, one of those " Pinstripe Erasers " is one of the wheels that come with the set.
My son wanted to remove some pinstripes on His accura, He tried it and liked it, works great and does`nt screw up the paint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man