Removing my cab....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADTrumble

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright thinkin i need to remove my cab soon
I wanna do this to repair my floors and rockers and to get a good paint job on under side
Redo frame while its up and redo gas tank and gas lines
Its a manual truck so wondering what a pain its gonna be? Four cab bolts, pedals, ....any advice on what its gonna take to get it off? How heavy it is? Any good systems to pick it up or any other ideas i should implament while its off?
Seen somethin about relocating gas tank?
Any advice or opinions will be helpfull never done it b4

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
A couple thoughts:
1. A fully loaded cab is heavy. Not sure exactly what it weighs but I recently bought one and moving it around with everything in it was a pain.

2. You will want to remove the doors and come up with a spreader bar to lift it with. I use a good 4 X 4 wood beam inside and it bolts up to an 1 1/2" pipe with a ring in the middle for lifting but you could also lift it like in the attached photos. If you run a strap through the cab to your hook you will wrinkle the roof and crush the drip rail. Also the weight can crush the front area of the rocker seam if it's not supported properly when you set it down The PO of this cab left that legacy for me to deal with.

3. If your trans is an SM465 you will want to remove the shifter so you don't have to thread the cab off of it. this will reduce how high you need to lift it.

4. Perhaps you could get away with unbolting the cab and simply laying it on it's back right on the frame. Then you wont need to lift it but just tip it over.

5. Make yourself a cart to set it on so you can roll it around after its off.

I agree that repairing a cab with it removed is really nice compared to fixing one on the frame depending on how much repairing needs to be done but to get a good job of painting the floor it's the best way to go.

Attachments

• cabremoval01.jpg
    cabremoval01.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC_0807 (1).jpg
    DSC_0807 (1).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 427

ADTrumble

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I really like the idea of just tipping it back
Worried about the rear window tho
Have u tried this?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I really like the idea of just tipping it back
Worried about the rear window tho
Have u tried this?
I just tipped mine back on the floor the other day. If your worried about the back window lay it back on some padding on top of plywood and make a plywood cover for the inside to protect it. If it were me I would take the window out. The back windows are pretty easy to get out and in with two people and some soapy water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64