removing cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So I'm trying to take my cluster out to find out why the gauges don't work. I have all the screw out BUT the metal framing seems to be holding it in. Do I need to remove the dash pad all the way? It is loose so I can wiggle it but not I'm nervous of breaking something. Thanks for the order.

85 chevy c20

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
With a little wiggling and lots of curse words it will come out. Did you disconnect the speedometer cable? Taking the pad out might help but I don't when removing the cluster.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not yet, can't get my big hand back there. I'll play with it an cuss more...I'm good at that thanks

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The cable needs to come loose before you try to remove the cluster from the dash.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Guess I'll figure that out first then...thanks

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There is a clip that you push in that releases the cable. Reach up under the dash and push the clip towards the cluster to release.

This pic sucks but you will get the idea. You will need more curse words.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 180

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There is usually a lot of slack in the speedometer cable (maybe 8 - 12 inches) that can be used to easily access the clip (the one Robert shows above) - without the hassle of laying on your back and reaching up from under the dash.

On the engine side of the firewall, locate the speedometer cable:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Clean and lube the outer sheathing with WD-40 and push a little bit through the firewall.

You won't be able to get much through at first because the cluster will still be stuck in the dash frame.

Here is the trick to releasing the cluster bucket from the frame:

The bucket is designed to be inside (towards the firewall) on the bottom lip and outside (towards the steering wheel) on the top.

Pull the top of the bucket in towards you - as far as you feel comfortable with. Then reach down and push up on the bottom of the bucket until the lower edge can clear the lip of the steel frame.

It may take a little finesse, but at some point you'll have the top and bottom popped out of the frame.

Now you can go back under the hood and push as much of the speedometer cable through as you need to disco it.

Once the speedometer cable is off, it becomes much easier to unclip the wiring harness from the PC board.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I find it easier to remove the cluster from the dash like you say above with the cable disconnected. Easier to tilt forward without fighting the tension of the cable. To each his own and whatever works for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell