Rebuild 454 or Swap in Cummins, Powerstroke, or SBC.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyRealHeavy

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I really appreciate the info and thoughts from everyone. I'll weigh my options and my next thread will probably be a 454 Rebuild or in the gasser swap sub-forum.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Would stroking the 454 be around the same price as just rebuilding it? Would it be just as reliable as a 350 stroked to a 383?
Pretty close depending what parts you use. For example Scat crank vs Eagle. Using Scat a crank will cost a a little more than a crank regrind, but imo it's worth it.

Lots of guys in BC running 496s wearing out everything else but the engine. I don't think there is any reliability sacrificed. I'm seeing trucks for sale online that were stroked years ago and driven for years still running great.
My high compression 383 has just under 100K miles on it and ran awesome until parked... van was too rusty to go further. Eventually after my BBC crewcab is on the road I will freshen up the 383 and find a new (SqBody) to toss it in.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'd go internally balanced. I never understood when it externally balanced and you just chuck on a 454 flex plate or flywheel and balancer and call it balanced.......to many different variable in my opinion. Again use longer rods less layover on a long stroke is a good thing and will promote longer cylinder life. And it's better for rpm stress.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Scat crank vs Eagle.
Eagle is CRAP, the machine work is horrible, last one I did I sent the crank back 3 times and every replacement was the same, finally I said phuc it and had it turned 10/10, customer didn't like it but he wanted Eagle, oh well!!. Scat uses the same forging but all machine work is done in house and it's top quality, I used to live right down the street from them, been in there quite a few times and got to know them it's a well organized clean shop, if you're gonna go that route Scat is the way to go..

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Eagle is CRAP, the machine work is horrible, last one I did I sent the crank back 3 times and every replacement was the same, finally I said phuc it and had it turned 10/10, customer didn't like it but he wanted Eagle, oh well!!. Scat uses the same forging but all machine work is done in house and it's top quality, I used to live right down the street from them, been in there quite a few times and got to know them it's a well organized clean shop, if you're gonna go that route Scat is the way to go..

Awesome report thanks for making it. I thought Eagle was more expensive than Scat... and therefor maybe better? Whoo guess not.
I've bought two Scat cranks, my 383 and my 496 kit. The 496 is still on the shelf waiting for... a bunch of life changing events and the 383 has close to 200K on it. Anyway, micrometer said both those cranks were spot on with no taper. Good machining as you are saying.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
My uncle is pushing me towards buying a rebuilt crate engine with a decent warranty. Does anyone know a company that'll stand behind their rebuilds? The only thing I'm worried about with those is having to pull the engine again in the future. I'm also ify on doing a rebuild, I know I can do it right but I would want it to be bullet proof and on a budget.

This thread is a month old so you're probably well on your way into the project.. I have no idea of the quality of the product nor the terms of the warranty, but Summit's Blue Print brand engines have a 50,000 mile warranty and they offer a 496...

ChevyRealHeavy

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
This thread is a month old so you're probably well on your way into the project.. I have no idea of the quality of the product nor the terms of the warranty, but Summit's Blue Print brand engines have a 50,000 mile warranty and they offer a 496...

I'm not actually look at my latest thread in the gasser swaps lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara