Rear ebrake cables seized??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Hi I haven't been on in awhile because work has been a little retarded the last year but I'm trying to get my girl back on the road. 87 V10. Last summer I replaced the rear springs, por'd the frame and sprayed undercoating under the bed. I also replaced all 4 shocks.

Right after I noticed a weird death wobble especially after the truck sat. It is scary to drive especially at higher speeds. I found the left rear drum hot to the touch even when the right one is cool. I paid a guy to replace the rear axle seals and rear brakes/drums and told him about the ebrake cables and how I think that junk got in the cable because the foot pedal doesn't come up all the way. It falls down a couple of inches when driving....

I'm guessing the ebrake is causing these issues and the guy who worked on my brakes gave it back saying all is good but its exactly the same. It is not a minor issue and I'm looking for advice on how to diagnose. The first thing I'm going to do is disconnect the ebrake cables under the bed. What other advice can you offer me?

Thanks in advance

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If one of the cables is stuck you can diagnos if its the front by doing as you say and disconnecting them underneath but you will also want the drums off so you can push and pull the rear two cables. This will give you a chance to check on the self adjusters, give it all a good looking over and readjust the rear brakes. Cables are pretty inexpensive so if you use the parking brake and your in doubt replace them.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Thanks, i wrote the post in frustration that I paid a guy to do the brakes and I told him that the ebrake was almost definitely frozen....

Long story short; jacked up the back end. Left rear wheel almost seized. Right rear spins. Angle grinder and the problem is fixed for now....

thanks again

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Thanks, i wrote the post in frustration that I paid a guy to do the brakes and I told him that the ebrake was almost definitely frozen....

Long story short; jacked up the back end. Left rear wheel almost seized. Right rear spins. Angle grinder and the problem is fixed for now....

thanks again

What did you grind?

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
used a cut off wheel and cut the left rear ebrake cable. Wheel now spins freely. I'll order up a cable and a couple other parts tonight. Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrel