Rear disc conversion plumbing fyi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Doing my 14 bolt disc conversion I kept wondering why everybody was saying I needed to use hoses at the calipers’ banjo fitting. I considered going to the wreckers to find a banjo fitting with a few inches of 3/16 tube on it, to flare for a brake ( inverted flare) fitting. But a search online showed one banjo- to- inverted flare adapter, and most of the reviews of them were from rear disc conversion DIYs raving about them. Made by UFP, called Disc Brake Banjo Fitting. UFP part #32275. There are a few vendors but not all have the staff to do business. The fitting is a block of brass with a 7/16 banjo port and a 3/8” female inverted flare thread port, which is most common for 3/16” Brake line.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Are you saying you will run hard lines all the way to the caliper?

If so, don't do it. The caliper "floats" because it moves a little each time it squeezes, this movement will eventually make a hardline crack / break.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
You may be right. I heard rear discs are the norm on new cars now, do they have hoses on the rears?
Braided stainless hoses are more available without the banjo, so I can use the adapter to get a shorter hose. At least on the left side with the short axle. Most of the hoses I see online are AN though, maybe the new cars are all AN now? I don’t have a 37 degree flare tool ( AN) but AN- to inverted-flare adapters are easy to get.