Rear Brakes Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5L NA V8 overhead valves (OHV) 16V
OK so been a while.
Got me some new tires about 4 months ago. Took them to a shop to have them put on and as I was driving there, I heard a loud noise and could smell brakes. Got to the shop and the driver side rear was hot and smokey. I knew what happened and why. My bearings went bad as I have stated while back in another thread. Me, being stupid, ignored the fact that the gear oil leaked all over both rear brakes. Me, being stupid, just cleaned it all up with brake cleaner. Now the shoes were soaked and I should have replaced them. But I hated to do that since the entire brake system was new.
Now getting back to the issue at hand. I think my shoes slipped due to there still being oil imbedded into them. Now I'm hoping I didn't ruin the drum. I did not drive home. I had my uncle come get me and put my truck on his flatbed trailer. But I drove long enough probably to do some damage. I have not looked at the damage as truck has just been sitting (river season means no dessert trips) but it's time to repair.

Now what I need to know is, does having a Dana 60 rear-end determine what parts I need to buy or does it still fall under the same 1/4 ton 1/2 ton 3/4 ton rule when buying brake parts. Can I just pop into Autozone and buy me replacement parts for an '88 Sub

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Now what I need to know is, does having a Dana 60 rear-end determine what parts I need to buy or does it still fall under the same 1/4 ton 1/2 ton 3/4 ton rule when buying brake parts. Can I just pop into Autozone and buy me replacement parts for an '88 Sub

To pull the correct shoes, the parts guy won't need to know what kind of axle you have. As you suggest, providing him with the model year and load rating should be sufficient (the 06 - Suburban - classification isn't a factor).

But, depending on where you go, they might ask you for either the JB rating of the system or the shoe size in inches. The V1 (1/2 ton) trucks were equipped with the JB5 brake system - which used 11.15" X 2.75" shoes. Aftermarket brands should cross reference with GM part 18009349 or 1155445.

The above information is to the best of my knowledge.

As an aside, when buying parts, I have always made a habit of pulling the part to be replaced from the vehicle (when feasible) and bringing it into the store for direct comparison. That can save a lot of time, driving and frustration.

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Did the dana 60 use the same rear shoes as the GM corporate rear ends? Sounds like he's had an axle swap done. That may complicate the parts store trip.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Did the dana 60 use the same rear shoes as the GM corporate rear ends? Sounds like he's had an axle swap done. That may complicate the parts store trip.

Yeah, I didn't know if maybe a D60 was available as an option on the 1/2 ton line? The parts manual was of no help - no mention of axle variants. Just CK/RV & 1,2,3 and also the drum diameter/depth.

That's kind of why I concluded my response like this:

The above information is to the best of my knowledge.

As an aside, when buying parts, I have always made a habit of pulling the part to be replaced from the vehicle (when feasible) and bringing it into the store for direct comparison. That can save a lot of time, driving and frustration.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yeah, with the axle swap that was done, it needs to be figured out what the rear brakes actually are. Because even if it's known where the axle came from, it doesn't necessarily mean that the original matching brakes were installed with it.

88SUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5L NA V8 overhead valves (OHV) 16V
Thanks for all the info guys.
My initial idea was to just take off all hardware and take with, but I was also wanting to buy online. Not much a fan of Autozone brakes. But I guess they'll do since I have no idea about the axle. I know the previous owner had a custom driveshaft made to connect to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne