Rear axle slop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cydways

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I have a 1990 v2500 suburban with the 14 bolt semi floating rear axle. It clunks into gear in both D and R. Also after it gets warmed up there is a faint grinding/whirring nose coming from the rear. The u joints are good and the oil level is full. If I lay under the truck and turn the driveshaft by hand it will turn a good 60 degrees before the wheels start to turn.

Could this be a bearing issue or is my ring and pinion about completely worn out?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Usually whine is due to preload and backlash out of adjustment. I would probably buy a rebuild kit for the axle(~$200) and then tear it down and rebuild it. Its highly unlikely you have worn gears. You can pull the cover and check though.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Time for a new r & p.

Cydways

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
The truck has over 300k on it, would it be cheaper to just buy a used axle for it if the gears are worn?

How intensive is rebuilding the axle? I've seen you have to set the tolerances for the gears pretty accurately or the thing will destroy itself. Would the average shade tree mechanic be able to do that?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The truck has over 300k on it, would it be cheaper to just buy a used axle for it if the gears are worn?

How intensive is rebuilding the axle? I've seen you have to set the tolerances for the gears pretty accurately or the thing will destroy itself. Would the average shade tree mechanic be able to do that?
Cheaper? Yes.

Better? Probably not.

You will have an unknown at that point, what if it needs to be rebuilt in a couple thousand miles or less? Then you are out the buying price of the used unit and you still end up paying for the rebuild. You should be able to get stock replacement gears and a rebuild kit for a few hundred dollars. You will take probably a whole weekend to remove and rebuild the rear end since you don't have any experience. There are plenty of good videos on how to do it and the only tool you should need will be a dial indicator and a magnetic base. You can get both from harbor freight for cheap.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Cheaper? Yes.

Better? Probably not.

You will have an unknown at that point, what if it needs to be rebuilt in a couple thousand miles or less? Then you are out the buying price of the used unit and you still end up paying for the rebuild. You should be able to get stock replacement gears and a rebuild kit for a few hundred dollars. You will take probably a whole weekend to remove and rebuild the rear end since you don't have any experience. There are plenty of good videos on how to do it and the only tool you should need will be a dial indicator and a magnetic base. You can get both from harbor freight for cheap.

This.

Either learn it yourself or pay someone who knows. They're just okay rears and they have a tendency to dissociate bearings. The R&P may be salvageable, but you'll need to give it a serious lookit to see what you're dealing with.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If the problem is recent, as in this didn't start thousands of miles ago and you've just decided to get worried about it. I will tel you from expierience I can pull the diff. replace all the bearings and put it all back together faster than you can disconnect all the brake hoses and cables. Unbolt your U bolts get 1 rearend out the other one back under bolted up hooked up and brakes bled. Your bearings are worn out, that's all.

If you decide to DIY post back I'll walk you through, no expensive tools, no black magic voodoo.

Cydways

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Ok I have decided to rebuild the axle. Got the kit coming. Are there any particular videos or articles that would help? Also can I do this with the axle in the truck or do I have to take it out?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The factory manual tells you what you need to know, although I'm sure there's plenty of YouBoob videos too. You should be able to find it in the Library section of this site.

I did mine in the truck. It's a little awkward, but other than that there's usually little reason to take the whole thing out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224