Radio Suggestions (cleaning up others mistakes)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr heavy-chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
fox
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So... it looks like helen keller installed the radio in this truck...

big gaping hole where the radio was.
ive seen this way too many times.
THANK GOD she didn't cut up the doors for speakers. people that do this should be shot
:lazer:

right now i have a radio delete plate as part of the gauge facade so it looks good at a glance.

any suggestions for putting in a good modern radio?

it may just be easier AND cheaper to buy a BOSE box

You must be registered for see images attach

and play my ipod and phone through THAT...

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
I really like the alpine that came in my truck. USB, full Blue Tooth, etc. The adapter plates that allow installation of a regular size DIN radio in our "1.5 DIN" holes are pretty common and easy to get. They look pretty good IMHO. How big is the hole that she cut? Too messy to do the adapter plate? My truck has speakers in the door, but at least I didn't do it! I just live with it and put some decent ones in the holes that Bubba cut for me.

Had a good chuckle about the Helen Keller comment - needed that.

mr heavy-chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
fox
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
can you take a picture?

i need to figure out how to get more of my pictures posted in here.

you should have seen this 1972 i went to look at... omg.. it looked like helen keller dropped acid, smoked meth, and was given a bone saw.

the beautiful dash was mutilated, even the heater controls.
both doors were oggered out for some unknown dimension of speaker.
AND the roof was cut apart for a "custom" sunroof.... and the RTV silicone sealer for it looked like bird-****-bubblegum.

the asking price?..... 5,500.... i wanted to slap him lol

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
I'll try and take a pic tomorrow for ya. (If you have a smartphone, get an app called tapatalk and access this site from there - makes uploading pics way easier)

I may be a bit behind the times, tho. I googled "GM 1.5 DIN" and it seems like there are lots of choices for radios now that fit that hole size exactly. Which is nice because then you have more display area and knobs and buttons are bigger. Back in the day all the aftermarket radios were the smaller size (1.0 DIN) and you had to buy an adapter that would install the smaller radio in the hole for the OEM GM radio. Good luck, hope you don't run into too many more helen keller hatchet jobs.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'll try and take a pic tomorrow for ya. (If you have a smartphone, get an app called tapatalk and access this site from there - makes uploading pics way easier)

I may be a bit behind the times, tho. I googled "GM 1.5 DIN" and it seems like there are lots of choices for radios now that fit that hole size exactly. Which is nice because then you have more display area and knobs and buttons are bigger. Back in the day all the aftermarket radios were the smaller size (1.0 DIN) and you had to buy an adapter that would install the smaller radio in the hole for the OEM GM radio. Good luck, hope you don't run into too many more helen keller hatchet jobs.

The 1.5 DIN is only in the 90-91' squarebodies, his 87' should have the old 2 post radio hole (or should have). Though, if it's been hacked out, that's all out the window, I suppose! :D

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
The 1.5 DIN is only in the 90-91' squarebodies, his 87' should have the old 2 post radio hole (or should have). Though, if it's been hacked out, that's all out the window, I suppose! :D

Ah, yes, you're right about his '87 with the 2 post. Although my '89 K5 had the 1.5 DIN so maybe they made the change then or in '88?

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Here's a couple a pics of my Alpine in my '91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
I have the same alpine deck and love it.

mr heavy-chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
fox
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Here's a couple a pics of my Alpine in my '91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

see that looks just fine!

is that a kit you bought to install it?
since i have an 87 i think im going to need to do some serious fabrication to make that style of radio fit and look professional...

brewster21

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you have a squarebody and have the two post mount still there, I put in a retrosound model two and I really like it and it looks somewhat original not too bad for price but more expensive than just a normal single din radio

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
see that looks just fine!

is that a kit you bought to install it?
since i have an 87 i think im going to need to do some serious fabrication to make that style of radio fit and look professional...

I didn't install it, PO did, but I don't think he had to do any cutting. In either 88 or 89 they changed from the 2 post radio like yours originally was to the 1.5 DIN which is a bigger hole and w/o separate holes for the tuning and volume knobs. So my radio just uses an adapter and doesn't require any cutting. What you do all depends on how big Helen cut the hole and whether or not she left the separate holes for the knobs!

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
This is an interesting topic. I put a cd/radio in my 77 and I'm trying to figure out how to make the bezel I have coming fit it. These pics are helping me determine how to do it.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have used an 1/8" sheet aluminium to hold a radio pod in my old 85 where previous owner hacked a giant hole.

installed:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76