Dummy radio....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
So the PO of my K5 butchered the radio port when the removed the OE. Looks like they may have had an aftermarket head unit there for awhile. The head unit currently sits in the Tuffy center console, with one amp inside and another under the driver seat.

Ive had the truck about 5 months now and couldnt stand looking at that gaping hole in my dash. I know there are other ways to fix this problem, but heres the route I went.

Looked and looked for an '86 bezel that could still mount an oe radio...then of course Id have to find an oe radio. Preferably non-working because it wont get used. I want it primarily for looks. Id like to keep the interior as factory, or close to as possible. Already ditched some new Tahoe seats that were trashed in favor of a clean set from an 84'.

The good thing about the SQB's is interchangability. I found a super clean 89' bezel, but apparently a newer radio was offered in 89' too. I didnt see any reason why it wouldnt fit with a bit of grinding......

So here what I did this morning, need to button it up tomorrow:

Disassembly had already started, but here is old bezel and cut out

picture.php

New bezel showing what needed to be cut away:
Notice the 88' + bezels stick out a bit just in the upper right of radio.

picture.php

After some grinding (IE hacking)

picture.php

Time for the radio...its in-op and thats fine with me. It just needed to fill a hole, and maybe some turd will peek in and say, Im not gonna steal the pos radio.

picture.php

Done....almost.....: Just need to screw the bezel in. Little hole to the left of radio is where the rocker switch for my front fog lights goes....

picture.php

Probably more work than was necessary, but I like it. What it would look like cleaned up and with a better camera....

picture.php

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Looks way better than that big hole for sure.

I had my dash cut the same way for a single DIN radio wich I cant stand in a square. My fix was to get a new bezel, a cut out of an "uncut" dash, trim it to fit, bolt it in and install a factory radio. I still havent hooked it up but I plan on a new post type radio in the future with CD and/or Ipod conections. Unfortunately I dont have any before pics. In the under dash pic you can see the white donor dash piece bolted in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hell hook it up and rock it! My favorite station lately is 1410 AM!!!

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I was going to do this as well. But I was going to run a factory CD player which was never offered in the squares...Much less any GM truck until 1995.

gilbertjr04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So the PO of my K5 butchered the radio port when the removed the OE. Looks like they may have had an aftermarket head unit there for awhile. The head unit currently sits in the Tuffy center console, with one amp inside and another under the driver seat.

Ive had the truck about 5 months now and couldnt stand looking at that gaping hole in my dash. I know there are other ways to fix this problem, but heres the route I went.

Looked and looked for an '86 bezel that could still mount an oe radio...then of course Id have to find an oe radio. Preferably non-working because it wont get used. I want it primarily for looks. Id like to keep the interior as factory, or close to as possible. Already ditched some new Tahoe seats that were trashed in favor of a clean set from an 84'.

The good thing about the SQB's is interchangability. I found a super clean 89' bezel, but apparently a newer radio was offered in 89' too. I didnt see any reason why it wouldnt fit with a bit of grinding......

So here what I did this morning, need to button it up tomorrow:

Disassembly had already started, but here is old bezel and cut out

picture.php

New bezel showing what needed to be cut away:
Notice the 88' + bezels stick out a bit just in the upper right of radio.

picture.php

After some grinding (IE hacking)

picture.php

Time for the radio...its in-op and thats fine with me. It just needed to fill a hole, and maybe some turd will peek in and say, Im not gonna steal the pos radio.

picture.php

Done....almost.....: Just need to screw the bezel in. Little hole to the left of radio is where the rocker switch for my front fog lights goes....

picture.php

Probably more work than was necessary, but I like it. What it would look like cleaned up and with a better camera....

picture.php

Wow, it turned out looking really Clean:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP