Question about gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You can just pop in new gauges with out them. Or just swap the whole thing. I have never had an 87 only up to 86 but its my understanding that the clusters are essentially the same until 89-91 in the burbs and crew cabs when they started using the vss.

I have never had an issue swapping clusters and I have done that more then a few times. Anything 81-87 is interchangeable except the cluster with the tach requires a little wiring to add that to a non tach truck.

There is a difference with the diesel vs gasoline fuel gauges. All the sensors for 81-87 are the same.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I put an 85 c10 gasoline cluster into my 84 K10 6.2 diesel with out any issues.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
IDK - it doesn't look like the pinouts are even close:

You must be registered for see images attach

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Never had a swap that was plug and play. Always had to move some wires around. Not hard just use a small screw driver and push down the tab that holds the wire in the connector and move it to where it needs to go. Look up the part number for the sending units and see if the one for lights is the same for gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Never had a swap that was plug and play. Always had to move some wires around. Not hard just use a small screw driver and push down the tab that holds the wire in the connector and move it to where it needs to go. Look up the part number for the sending units and see if the one for lights is the same for gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your help.

However the cluster I got today has a fried part going between the Water Temperature and the Oil pressure.

The circuit board is useless so Ive decided to go a different route with this......

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You want this? It's out of an 87 Sierra Classic - the bucket is like new and the gauges are sharp.I tried to sell it last August (for USD 75) - but no takers:

More info and images here:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7648&highlight=cluster

Whatever you think is a reasonable price - divide that by 2 and it's your's.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So what's the difference between that circuit board and the one in my 84 with cruise or the 85 c 10 one that I swapped in ? It looks identical from the back side ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85