Pump Gas to start..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Isnt that what I said?

Actually if it is wired to stock turning the key on will not heat the choke element until the engine starts supplying oil pressure to activate the oil pressure switch which then allows current to be supplied to the choke heating element.

But seeing as he has a 73 im gonna bet my money you have a divorced choke. Which just means the choke is directly controlled by the temp of the intake manifold. No electronics involved at all. It was the next thing after the cable pull choke but it works surprisingly very well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Too wordy?

Nope! Not at all! I think I got the main Jist of it all. Thank you soo much. I tried it just right now its kinda cold out and it was the first run of the day. I pumped it 3 times and it turned over great. But I went to go fill her up. (I drove no more than 4 miles.) And after I filled her up I pumped it again and it wouldnt start( I may had flooded it?), I had to give it gas while cranking it.. then it turned.

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Isnt that what I said?

Actually if it is wired to stock turning the key on will not heat the choke element until the engine starts supplying oil pressure to activate the oil pressure switch which then allows current to be supplied to the choke heating element.

But seeing as he has a 73 im gonna bet my money you have a divorced choke. Which just means the choke is directly controlled by the temp of the intake manifold. No electronics involved at all. It was the next thing after the cable pull choke but it works surprisingly very well.

You must be registered for see images attach

See that brass colored looking nut on the right side of the carb. Thats what it looked like when I tried to change the fuel filter.:whymewhyme:

Why couldnt I get to the filter? I removed the line and it looked exactly like that

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Once it's warm, you won't need to pump it again after a short stop.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
See that brass colored looking nut on the right side of the carb. Thats what it looked like when I tried to change the fuel filter.:whymewhyme:

Why couldnt I get to the filter? I removed the line and it looked exactly like that

Its behind the brass fitting

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Its behind the brass fitting

Dang I knew it! I only had cresent wrenches so I couldnt quit get in there. And it looks untouched for years. I may have a problem. I dont want to strip it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its a 1" wrench and it will be fine just hand thread it back in

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
FYI it takes the short filter. The newer carbs with thermostatic and electric chokes use the longer filter. If there is no filter for what ever reason hopefully the spring is there. You need the spring to keep the filter in place inside its housing otherwise the filter wont filter.

But seeing as there is no inline filter probably the stock filter should be in place:)

73OLyellow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
FYI it takes the short filter. The newer carbs with thermostatic and electric chokes use the longer filter. If there is no filter for what ever reason hopefully the spring is there. You need the spring to keep the filter in place inside its housing otherwise the filter wont filter.

But seeing as there is no inline filter probably the stock filter should be in place:)

yeeup you should be right! Ill check tomorow and take off the 1" fitting too lol! Thanks

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep no prob!