PS Lines: New Style Pump vs Saginaw Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyone who has upgraded to the serpentine belt, have to have power steering lines fabbed? I kept the hard lines that went into the original steering box just in case. Lines for the '97 version of pump are totally different from my original 85's. Just wondered if there was a direct swap / lines to order, or will I have to have custom lines made?

There is an hydraulic line shop downtown that is great / reasonable so not a big deal if so - just wondering what to plan on.

Thx.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
where does your ps pump bracket locate the pump vs the original place? if you use a 97 serp setup, it should be a very similar run and the flexible portion should be able to handle it.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Were they still using Saginaw boxes in 97? Didn't think so, but....?

If all else fails I was going to buy new 97 lines and line them up with my Saginaw ends in the gearbox (so I can mark them for angles) to the hose shop.

Just thought someone would say 'definite' BTDT one way or the other.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Were they still using Saginaw boxes in 97? Didn't think so, but....?

If all else fails I was going to buy new 97 lines and line them up with my Saginaw ends in the gearbox (so I can mark them for angles) to the hose shop.

Just thought someone would say 'definite' BTDT one way or the other.
saginaw makes the 3 main power steering pumps that GM uses. the P pump is like a square, the CB pump is on fwd platformed cars and downsized enigne bays of late v8 rwd cars, TC Is the pump usedi n high performance or remote reservoir applications and has a bearing instead of a bushing.

The saginaw itself as a P pump was used to the last year of the SBC I believe, with the TC replacing it for truck use with LS family

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my dad has a 96 sbc with a saginaw on it., iirc, it mounts higher on the driver side than most factory V belts?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
The thread on the 97 should be a metric o-ring just like the box. You should be able to make the factory line work. I'd the 97 pump has the svo valve on it you can remove it an install the factory fitting from the 85 in the pump.

That's what I did on my 78, I used the factory pump fitting an a factory line with my serpentine swap.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
oh i didnt realize he was talking about the fittings more so than shape/routing. yeah, the control valve is removeable and swappable in cb and p pumps and both trucks should have had a P ump with the metric stuff like he said.

the TC pump, the only other pump possible, uses the same screw in fitting (dependant on valve used, but they use their own line of them) as same-uses cb and p pumps. so if a vehicle came with one of them, at all, theres a fitting to match the lines. plus aftermarket loves cb and tc pumps for rock crawlers, racing, etc.

i have all 3 pumps without a reservoir if you would like to see them

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The thread on the 97 should be a metric o-ring just like the box. You should be able to make the factory line work. I'd the 97 pump has the svo valve on it you can remove it an install the factory fitting from the 85 in the pump.

That's what I did on my 78, I used the factory pump fitting an a factory line with my serpentine swap.

OLD BUMP......I'm at this point now so more questions. When you say 'factory line' did you mean the 97's or the 85's? I'm using a 97 pump with my 85 Saginaw box.

THX

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
OLD BUMP......I'm at this point now so more questions. When you say 'factory line' did you mean the 97's or the 85's? I'm using a 97 pump with my 85 Saginaw box.

THX
From what I understand, is you have to remove that valve from your newer pump, then your factory 85 lines should thread straight into the pump instead of the valve. If I am reading correctly, I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Awesome - THX!

Whats weird is.....the ends on new 85 lines look nothing like my old ones (per pics on Rock's site).

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Awesome - THX!

Whats weird is.....the ends on new 85 lines look nothing like my old ones (per pics on Rock's site).
do they maybe come to a sharp turn instead of a straight in? that seems strange, an 85 should be a small little flare with an o ring that has a threaded part that holds it in that slides on the line