Power Windows Troubleshooting Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Even with updated reproduction power window/lock harnesses I still may come out with yet another full harness version where it's a stand alone from the OEM fuse panel and will eliminate a lot of the crazy voltage drop issues GM "built into" their harnesses over the years. There is definitely better ways to build these harnesses...

Kevro_N_Chevro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin Forbes
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
Thee's a circuit breaker in each window motor as well and it will pop if there's too much of a load on the motor.
Is there a way to reset it without removal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevro_N_Chevro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin Forbes
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
On my 88 suburban the rear driver window stopped working. All the others work ok. I have power at the switch. Bring the switch, and at the motor connector. However nothing going through the motor. No hum no draw of current. Any suggestions?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Check the safety switch, or you have a bad motor.

Kevro_N_Chevro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin Forbes
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
Check the safety switch, or you have a bad motor.
Where do I find the safety switch, google search comes up with modern cars stuff

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The circuit breakers reset themselves. You don't have to remove anything. Normally, they'll auto reset about 30 seconds or so after being tripped provided there's not a dead short that caused it to shut off.

Kevro_N_Chevro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin Forbes
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
So I tapped the motor and it works again. So new window motors will be on the update list. Thanks guys

militaryjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
So I tapped the motor and it works again. So new window motors will be on the update list.

Run ground wire from the motor mounting plate to the frame of the truck. Normally it grounds through the hinge which can create problems with rust and corrosion.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Kinda desperate at this point... 88 suburban has no working door windows, all have power, ground is connected, fuses are good. They were all working and the nothing. Got home and they rolled up and that was it. I replaced the the driver's switch with no luck. I read there is a relay above gas pedal to the right of the steering column. But not really sure what it looks like due to my ignorance about power windows in square bodies. Any help would be much appreciated!

justink30

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado k30
Engine Size
I need a fuse panel diagram for a 1980 Chevy Silverado k30 4x4 my power locks power windows and heater fan not working

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi all, I did a stupid with my power windows. I have a 1980 GMC K15 (std cab) and the power windows do not operate, either from using the driver's side switch or passenger. I pulled off the driver's door panel and the 6 wires that go to the power window switch pretty much fell out, so I think that was my problem. The stupid is I failed to disconnect the battery before I did this! At some point as I was floundering I think I crossed at least one of the wires to another (probably ground) and I heard a pop. Any idea what I blew? I think it was from the middle of the dash: is there a component on the power window wiring harness on the firewall? I haven't tried replacing the 30 amp circuit breaker at the fuse panel yet... Also, any idea why I have 6 wires at the driver's switch? I saw a picture elsewhere in this thread that shows 5 wires going to that switch.

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
Look for a blown fuse

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Hi all, I did a stupid with my power windows. I have a 1980 GMC K15 (std cab) and the power windows do not operate, either from using the driver's side switch or passenger. I pulled off the driver's door panel and the 6 wires that go to the power window switch pretty much fell out, so I think that was my problem. The stupid is I failed to disconnect the battery before I did this! At some point as I was floundering I think I crossed at least one of the wires to another (probably ground) and I heard a pop. Any idea what I blew? I think it was from the middle of the dash: is there a component on the power window wiring harness on the firewall? I haven't tried replacing the 30 amp circuit breaker at the fuse panel yet... Also, any idea why I have 6 wires at the driver's switch? I saw a picture elsewhere in this thread that shows 5 wires going to that switch.

circuit breakers reset themselves on my 77 , which i think is the same as your 80 , power comes from the junction block on the fire wall to the breaker near the brake booster and then to a relay that's powered by acc. on the brake pedal assembly (behind the radio) and then to the harness to the doors. Check for power on both sides of the breaker and then the relay and then key on check it at the drivers window switches....

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350

ok early version used 5 wires 1977-1981? 1982? -1991 used 6 wires. 2 different systems . the early system grounds through the window motors ( put power to one terminal the window goes up and put power to the other it goes down) and the late system changes the polarity to the motors and actually grounds through the switches . . if you have 6 wire switches in an 80 someone might have installed later doors or a later system..

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Thanks so much C10MixMaster, you've provided a LOT of great info. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I still have more questions (sorry!)

1) Where is the circuit breaker on your 77? On the 2nd page of this thread (post #20, Jul 6, 2013 by HotRodPC) there is an attachment "FuseBox85K1500.jpg". It shows the circuit breaker as a silver box above the 20amp Yellow Choke Fuse. I do not have a circuit breaker in that location, and I don't think I have any circuit breaker on my fuse box at all. Or have you answered that question in your post #43 that says "the breaker near the brake booster", meaning that the breaker is on the firewall, not on the fuse box? If so, did you draw the smaller blue circle around the breaker in the first picture?

2) Can you please explain what you mean in your post #43 that says "then to a relay that's powered by acc. on the brake pedal assembly (behind the radio)"? You mean the relay is on the brake pedal assembly (???) Are you saying to get behind the radio to test for power between the breaker and the relay? Is that what you're illustrating in your second picture? Is your radio removed in that picture?

3) Yes, I believe someone put aftermarket doors on this truck, and that they are 1982? 1982? -1991 doors. Thanks for explaining the early system vs later system. I had no idea. I gotta trace the 6 wires and see where they go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes