Power Windows Troubleshooting Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Thee's a circuit breaker in each window motor as well and it will pop if there's too much of a load on the motor.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO, I took a circuit breaker out of the one truck and plugged it in the truck I got working. So obviously the circuit breaker was bad. I didn't add any connectors or Micky Rig anything. All still with the OEM wiring and all. Hope that answers your question. Not sure I understand what you were asking.

JayBird

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Maybe retro is on to something with the motor having a circuit breaker since i heard the eletrical pops inside my door.

I'll keep you updated. Dont you just hate eletrical gremlins!!

JayBird

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hey HotRod,

So where does the 30 amp circuit breaker go?

I think i may have the exact same problem you had.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll have to get out there and see if I can get a good angle with a cam to get a pic. But there is also a circuit breaker in the fuse box under the dash. That's the one I replaced and got mine to working.

EDIT: It's the silver box above the 20amp Yellow Choke Fuse and is actually a 30amp Breaker. Spot is marked 30A PWR WDO

Attachments

• FuseBox85K1500.jpg
    FuseBox85K1500.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 529

JayBird

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok i tried 2 or 3 good 30 amp breakers in the slot and still no luck, im getting absolutely no power from the wires to the switches.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok i tried 2 or 3 good 30 amp breakers in the slot and still no luck, im getting absolutely no power from the wires to the switches.

OK, so start right there at the fuse box. Pull the fuse/breaker out, use a continuity tester and make sure you've got 12v on at least one of those terminals. I'd imagine it should be the left terminal but not positive. As long as one has power, you can assume the power goes thru the breaker to the other side. If you don't have power at all, then you know the problem is at or behind the fuse block, if it does have power, then the problem is at or past the fuse block.

PS... Don't forget to have your ignition in the on position.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am rebuilding my driver's side power window regulator assembly today with good used parts. I disassembled all the window motors and regulators from the '89. I removed the regulator from the '90 and I found something very shocking in half the regulator assemblies themselves. The spring on half of them are rusted and creating a binding factor, grinding feeling and noise I did not notice before. With the motors removed you can easily fell the difference in the action, binding and noise between the good springs and the rusty ones. I'm talking over twice as hard to move by hand. This seems to be a much overlooked problem. Every point in these regulators has been looked at and lubed during normal maintenance. However this spring remains hidden behind the door panel where you cannot see it. Here is a pic of the '90 spring:

You must be registered for see images

A pic from the '89 on top next to the '90 also rusted and binding:

Cleaning thee springs and lubing them makes a HUGE difference. :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Another weak spot in the regulators is the stop tabs built into them for the main gear. I found this one was actually folded over and underneath the gear causing severe binding and throwing the track arms out of alignment. All the regulators except the one out of the '90 were bent or damaged. Something else to look for when servicing.

Pics:

Good stop tab on the '90 regulator:

Bad stop tab on the '89 regulator:

Bent stop tab on the '89 rear door regulator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I bet it does make a huge difference. :waytogo: My K1500 windows need work too. They do work, but so damn slow. Also, there is a gap. You can here the motor for like 2 seconds before it starts pulling the window down. It's taking up slack. Then going up, it has to take the slack up the other direction before it starts bushing the glass up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Another weak spot in the regulators is the stop tabs built into them for the main gear. I found this one was actually folded over and underneath the gear causing severe binding and throwing the track arms out of alignment. All the regulators except the one out of the '90 were bent or damaged. Something else to look for when servicing.

Pics:

Good stop tab on the '90 regulator:

Bad stop tab on the '89 regulator:

Bent stop tab on the '89 rear door regulator:

You're just the Mr Window Regulator Fix It huh??? Good info. Someday when it comes time to do the interior on the K1500, I'll be pulling the regulators out to put in new motors. Figured they're almost 30 years old, it's time for new motors, and I'll do all this to the regulators too. I had even thought of just converting the K1500 windows to manual crank since I have the regulators and tan door panels from the Burnt Cab Scottsdale so they'll be problem free and if I ever get in deep water.... but fugg it, I'll leave it OEM. I like power windows anyway. At least the passenger side so I can roll it up and down without having to lay across the cab while driving. All my **** has power windows, AC and Cruise. Just got to get them all working.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It never occurred to me the amount of friction a dirty or rusty spring on there would cause. Night and day difference. Could save you from installing a new motor. A good cleaning and packing of new grease compared to a new motor, I'll take that.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I have seen the schematics but the wires aren't labeled well enough for me i guess, EDIT: used a computer this time, can actually trace the wires.....so I'm good now.

Pink is main power, black is ground i assume?

Mine quit working and i am assuming it is the pink wire inside the door boot broke since i don't have power at the end inside the door. But my passenger side window still works from the passenger side door switch. Everything on drivers door is dead

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Got it. Pretty much every wire was broke.... Windows work great now

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Soumds like I too need to check, the spring for rust. My passengers side window is slower than L.A. traffic during rush hour. Drivers side window twice the speed and it doesn't click and pop when rolling up either.

Yet another gremlin.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84