Power to the fuse block?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987v10

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have connected the power wire to the starter from the fuse block and the solenoid starter wire. Is that the only source of power for my fuse block? I am getting power to my ignition circuits. but not my lights. (head lights/tails and turns) Is there a secondary power source that i need to hook up? Any insight would be helpful Thanks!

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Wiring diagrams available on this forum.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
Yes there is a separate 12v constant for you lights, it comes from the bus/junction on the firewall. Mine had pulled out of the bulkhead going into the firewall, as the picture shows.

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have connected the power wire to the starter from the fuse block and the solenoid starter wire. Is that the only source of power for my fuse block? I am getting power to my ignition circuits. but not my lights. (head lights/tails and turns) Is there a secondary power source that i need to hook up? Any insight would be helpful Thanks!

There are two branch circuits - that originate at the starter solenoid. One supplies the ignition switched components (which you don't seem to have a problem with). Only the ignition switched branch passes through the firewall junction block.

The lead that feeds the affected circuits - the ones that you are having an issue with - bypasses the JB. It is a straight run from the battery connection (on the solenoid) up to the bulkhead connection block. There is a fusible link (only one) in that line - which is located down at the solenoid end.

After transiting the connection block, that lead splits again - into 2 branches.

One branch goes directly to the 2 terminal on the H/L switch and is used only to supply power for the headlights.

The other supplies power (via the associated fuses) for the T/L's, the ECM, courtesy lighting, horn/dome light - as well as anything plugged into the BATT bank sockets of the fuse block.

Long story short; it would appear that the fusible link in that branch is fried. It may be something else - for example, like the scenario that Kyle describes above - but that type of failure is rare. I would check the fusible links at the solenoid first. Wiring diagram is below:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising