POR15 Topcoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisH

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
None
Been lurking for a long time and finally decided it was time to try to contribute and I need some advice.

I have an '83 chassis that got 2 coats of POR15 and 2 coats of POR15 topcoat. The topcoat can easily be scratched off exposing the base POR15 underneath.

My prep:
Sandblast
POR15 Metal Prep per the directions
2 Coats of POR15 per directions
Let it sit for a few days
Scuff w/320 grit sandpaper
2 Coats of POR15 topcoat per the directions
Topcoat did not stick......

My question now is what should I do to take the topcoat off without hopefully damaging the good base underneath? I have contacted POR15 for advice and get mixed info all of which sounds suspect.

I would like to get the topcoat off and hit the base with an etch primer and decent epoxy spray bomb if possible.

In hindsight I should have just ponied up the cash for powder coat or have someone spray it with epoxy paint. I have more money in materials and time than I thought I would ever have and just need to cut my loss, get it in decent shape, and move on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If the bond between the base (POR-15) and the top coat is failing, the way I see it, you have 2 options:

1. Handtool/sandblast the top coat until it is completely gone. If the regular POR-15 was properly applied, it will remain bonded to the substrate. Leave it like that or try another top-coat application.

2. Do nothing. Just let the top coat flake off naturally. Leave it that way. It may not look as pretty - but afterall, it is a truck frame. The base coat POR-15 will remain in place and provide protection for years to come.

ChrisH

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
None
Thanks Chengny. I'm thinking I'm going to hit it with some medium grit sandpaper and see how it goes.

I thought about just leaving it and letting it flake but I did a gray base coat with black topcoat and i would hate to see that. I thought it would be smart that I could see what I was coating instead of all black. Now I wish I had done all black.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
When top coating, the color of the top coat should always (or whenever possible), match the base coat.

I think they must cover that subject in "Auto Body 101". Whenever I go to have a vehicle repainted, getting the body guys to change color is like pulling teeth.

It's a good rule of thumb.

ChrisH

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
None
I learned my lesson on this one. Hopefully I will get a chance to work on this in the next couple of days between some other projects.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1