POR 15 Hi Temp coating....Fail!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
There are generally 2 temperature ranges for high temp paints and they sometimes cure at different temperatures. 1200 deg. is the higher end. You may have already checked the specs for the necessary cure temperature for the 1200 deg paint to function properly.
I haven't delved too far into it, they don't have a lot of info posted. The instructions it does have don't mention a cure procedure, so hopefully just getting it hot will work (easy enough for headers).

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Cerakote brand coatings seem to hold up pretty well. The stuff is a little costly but a little bit goes a long ways. I bought a 16oz. Bottle of glacier silver (C-7700) to do my exhaust with and only ended up using about 4oz. So far.

Hardest part is prep work, everything needs to be thoroughly degreased and sand blasted for it to adhere.

I did the manifolds for Dads ‘56 about a month ago, they only have about 12 miles worth of cruising on them and about 10 or so heat cycles but they still look fantastic.

You must be registered for see images attach

The manifolds on my truck were done with VHT header paint, I cured them on the wood stove last winter several times. They have zero miles and maybe about 5 mild heat cycles and they’ve already changed colors. I don’t suspect it will hold up for too long.

You must be registered for see images attach

Compared to the VHT spray cans at $13-16 per can paying $35 for 4oz. bottle of Cerakote is actually cheaper considering I would have gone through probably 4 rattle cans to do a full dual exhaust.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think regardless of “how” high temp any of the rattle can hi temp paints are, none of them work well on headers or manifolds. In my experience. Once you get just far enough away from the heat source like past the headers or y pipe it lasts much longer.
But there’s a reason stainless steel and ceramic coatings are popular….

The Freedom Wagon is going to need new headers and exhaust before too long. I can’t wait to try the atf burning method! Never heard of that before…

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
Thanks! Great tip. Interesting that a similar technique can be used to prevent wood from rotting for centuries. Char it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think regardless of “how” high temp any of the rattle can hi temp paints are, none of them work well on headers or manifolds. In my experience. Once you get just far enough away from the heat source like past the headers or y pipe it lasts much longer.
But there’s a reason stainless steel and ceramic coatings are popular….

The Freedom Wagon is going to need new headers and exhaust before too long. I can’t wait to try the atf burning method! Never heard of that before…
This wasn't rattle can. 4 oz of brush on. I agree that all rattle can products generally suck.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
This wasn't rattle can. 4 oz of brush on. I agree that all rattle can products generally suck.
I disagree, the Motip heat resistant rattle can is great. Withstands temperatures up to 1470°.
I used it for the manifolds on my K5, no rust no chipping off since 2014. Also on the manifolds of my wife's 69 Mustang with a 351w.
Prep needs to be perfect and you have to burn in the paint after it's dry.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I disagree, the Motip heat resistant rattle can is great. Withstands temperatures up to 1470°.
I used it for the manifolds on my K5, no rust no chipping off since 2014. Also on the manifolds of my wife's 69 Mustang with a 351w.
Prep needs to be perfect and you have to burn in the paint after it's dry.
Interesting. Must be some good European stuff. It’s almost absent from the internet here. Website is in English and all the retailers are over by you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota