Pls help with altantator wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no slack

Reaction score
First Name
Antonio
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350 TBI
Ok read careful for I was the only one to really see this madness happen ok I have a 1987 chevy c10 5.7 TBI that has to start a 1981 cab pretty basic no power windows or doors this motor needed a ring job I have no idea how to do so I pulled it and replaced with 5.7 TBI from a 1995 chevy 1500 motors or the same no problem there fixes nice but the AC and altantator on the 1995 come on opposite sides on 1987 the altantator is on the passenger side close to the battery but on the 1995 the altantator is on the driver side this first causes the brown wire from the wiring harness not to be long to fit across to the other side the same for the red from the positive battery cable I solve this by just adding more to both now the problem is that the altantator for the 1995 is not the same as the 1987 it will not fit in the braket on the 1995 I replaced with the right one to find that the connector from the 1987 will not fit the 1995 so I got one from autozone to fine that it has three wires coming from it one thicker than the other two but all black the the 1987 has only two wires to the connector the brown wire and a little short red wire with lop at the end how would I make this altantator wiring fit with what I'm looking at any help will be good thanks

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I would have used all the 87 brackets/ accessorys on the 95 motor. Including water pump and all. If its still just a tbi all should fit right on

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would have used all the 87 brackets/ accessorys on the 95 motor. Including water pump and all. If its still just a tbi all should fit right on

YUP,switch the bracketry and remove any added on to wires and You will be in good shape.

no slack

Reaction score
First Name
Antonio
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350 TBI
100% right smh I'm just the idiot that sold the old motor at this point and got a new altantator so I gave up the old one smh lol yeah it's just to late to go back at this point can anyone help on moving forward with what I got

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The best would be to locate the person You sold the brackets to and b uy them back without the old engine,He probably wont be needing them if the vehicle He is installing the engine into had all the brackets already,or,used different than what You let go of.
Sorry,it will take a lot of work to make it happen with whsat You have.In My Opinion,that is.

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
the thick wire is the charge wire and goes to the battery terminal the other 2 I don't remember off the top of my head. IIRC one of the other 2 is for an Indicator light. Hope that helps

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
can you get a me a picture of what alternator it is you are wanting to use? An overall view, and a view of the electrical connector and I can more then likely get you a wiring diagram of how it is wiried up.

no slack

Reaction score
First Name
Antonio
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350 TBI
Thks

Thanks for the help I got a friend who knew a friend that works at the chevy dealership and got the help I was needed and for anyone that reads this in time don't be a idiot like me, just do what the guys above say and befor installation just swap the pullyset up but if ur of the same as I have a chevy rock the connector has letters printed across it that match up with the letters on the plug slot for the connector on the altantator if you google these letters you will come up with the diagram on the 95 the three or biggest one 12v is hot wire with loop for the slot under the nut on the altantator with the hot wire from battery the small wires all go to wire harness but the extra wireis just a light that's not on the dash of the 87 so it pretty much the same as before just do what you please with the extra wires thanks again now to my next headache tranny !!!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks for the update.