Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swift1055

Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok so I am sure this almost exact question has been asked here. But I have not found it. I have an 84 k20. Automatic 4wd. It has a tilt column. I have called and searched and torn every junkyard around me apart looking for a new column. Mine is completely shot the bearings are gone plastic busted. It's just not worth keeping. I am wanting to replace with a later model column. Possibly s10. I would like a smaller steering wheel and would love to push the wheel closer to the dash if possible. What I'm asking is. Has anyone done an s10 column swap that can tell me what all is involved and if it's even worth my time. I am far from scared to cut weld and fab. But I would like this to be a fairly quick project being that it is my daily driver. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Ok so I am sure this almost exact question has been asked here. But I have not found it. I have an 84 k20. Automatic 4wd. It has a tilt column. I have called and searched and torn every junkyard around me apart looking for a new column. Mine is completely shot the bearings are gone plastic busted. It's just not worth keeping. I am wanting to replace with a later model column. Possibly s10. I would like a smaller steering wheel and would love to push the wheel closer to the dash if possible. What I'm asking is. Has anyone done an s10 column swap that can tell me what all is involved and if it's even worth my time. I am far from scared to cut weld and fab. But I would like this to be a fairly quick project being that it is my daily driver. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm attaching the column interchange page for your truck. I assumed you had intermittent wipers in it, but if not, it's all the same just without intermittent. Anything can be made to fit with the time and money, but since you're working with your daily, and there's a clear deficit of literature for an S10 column swap, I'd stick to the tried and true. Multiple searches on this site found one mention and one unanswered inquiry about an S10 column in a square, but there was no supporting information. Multiple Google searches got me nowhere. As far as steering wheels go, the later, smaller, sportier four spoke wheel from a square or GMT400 is bolt on, and some people have done other things like an old Cavalier/Lumina steering wheel (a mite ugly for me). This is just my two cents, and I understand that you're not having any luck finding what you need, but it's out there. I've been hunting for a good conditioned OEM bumper for my Jimmy for over a year now to no avail. And I know the column is more important than a bumper but still.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147917&postcount=12

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507