Pictures of my Nova and the troubles it caused me today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
why is the rad so much? Is it a bastard size or something? I bought a 3 core for a chevy truck and an 85 monte carlo for like $112. Both were from advance.

nice nova though, sad to hear about all the bad stuff, first his junk gets stole then he gets beat to death, that's terrible.

I'd like to have me one and do a v8 and 4 speed.

I would agree though don't mess with pro touring crap, if you're gonna keep the motor stock might as well keep the rest stock too.

I don't know why the radiator is so much. Once I get the car back in the spring, I'll see if I can have it repaired. If not, I will check with some local places that I know who might be able to find me a better price. I didn't even bother to price the water pump yet.

What really blew me away was my GF said that after the kitchen is remodeled, if SHE can put away enough money for a full restoration, she would bank roll it for me. I'm telling ya, this woman is a keeper. She's even cool with me postponing the kitchen remodel so I can possibly buy a Syclone I'm watching on eBay.

I would love to get a second Nova of the same generation, 68-72, and do an LSX/6M swap. Cherry red with black leather.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it's an original radiator it is made out of copper. If you're careful you can solder it and save yourself some moolah.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

This was over 300 for my 85 truck. Worth it.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Nova looks great Jim

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice Nova. I'd sure keep it a stocker. There are to many out there that have been modded to hell and back. If you want to mod one, find one someone has gotten tired of that has already been modded and then mod that one. Good Example here. Here is one that is BASICALLY stock that an old friend I grew up with in CA has.

Attachments

• LvNova1.jpg
    LvNova1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 129

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You must be registered for see images attach

This was over 300 for my 85 truck. Worth it.
Yikes, for $300, I'd think you could have gotten one of the 100% alluminum radiators off eBay with a blem or ugly seem weld. May have an ugly weld, but if cheap enough and its 100% functional, thats my intent on the next NEW radiator I ever buy. Although, you did at least get a REAL radiator, not a plastic tank hunk of crap. Metal, espeically copper has gone way up in price, so maybe thats why the high price. Doesn't matter though. $300 Investment to keep your $2K-$3K engine cool, and your trans too, its a wise investment. I know a guy who buys used all the time, and blocks off a section here and there to fix leaks. I bet his 3 core hasn't got the cooling capacity of a 2 core now. LOL.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yikes, for $300, I'd think you could have gotten one of the 100% alluminum radiators off eBay with a blem or ugly seem weld. May have an ugly weld, but if cheap enough and its 100% functional, thats my intent on the next NEW radiator I ever buy. Although, you did at least get a REAL radiator, not a plastic tank hunk of crap. Metal, espeically copper has gone way up in price, so maybe thats why the high price. Doesn't matter though. $300 Investment to keep your $2K-$3K engine cool, and your trans too, its a wise investment. I know a guy who buys used all the time, and blocks off a section here and there to fix leaks. I bet his 3 core hasn't got the cooling capacity of a 2 core now. LOL.

My Dad threw down the cash on that radiator and I thought he was crazy since it was 3 times what the aluminum unit costs. We spent a day together trying to get a radiator, The first one we found was at Carquest. Everything seemed fine and he asked the lady to open the box so he could check it out, Then he said "It probably wont work with this big ******** in it". Sure as **** it had a big ******** in the plastic tank.

We drove another 60 miles and got the Copper one, it works awesome. If it for some reason gets a leak I can fix it with a roll of solder, some acid and one of those propane torches. Or just drop it off at a radiator shop and get it completely rebuilt. Worth a few hundred bucks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Copper is by far better than the plastic. And you are right, easily repaired. Aluminum will discipate heat better though. All my trucks have the copper ones in them right now, and I'll get them rodded out and repaired til the day the radiator shop tells me they can't be repaired anymore. 2 of my radiators are biggo honkin 4 cores. One in the 454 truck with HD cooling option and the factory electric fan, which I bet many aren't aware, GMSB trucks did have a factory electric pusher fan as an option. 2 of my truck have it. The 84 3/4 ton, and my 88 3/4 ton Burb has it. The other biggo one came in an 80 that had that Olds Diesel originally, and its got both motor oil cooler and trans oil cooler. Love that RadidIATOR..

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I remember some car show or something I learned in auto shop talking about the difference between the copper and aluminum radiators.

According to whatever ******** they told me, the copper dissipates heat better but cannot be spread as thin resulting in less fins.

The aluminum is more pliable and can be spread thinner giving it more fins.

According to whatever this information was i am remembering, they both cool about the same except aluminum radiators are lighter and the copper ones can be repaired.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Beautiful car......:drool: My parents bought a Nova back in '72...put the first mile on the car as they drove it off the lot. To this day, I still kick myself for not buying it from them. They sold it to some friends that ended up letting their kids drive it to school...Needless to say, it ended up in a salvage yard approx. 4 yrs later..........................

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1