peanut port heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anri65

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
If this has already been discussed i apologize in advance . First post etc.. and so on . project Chevy 83 k10 had a carbed 305 , 700r4 np208 case 2.73 gears . Now it has T400/208 case, same gears . Now here is my question recently acquired a 1980 454 motor with the 236 peanut port heads we my son and myself right now are going for very mild build on the motor usual add ons headers , intake so on probably quadrajet . Would it be worth it to to gasket match the heads and remove casting flash This is mainly torque daily driver situation I appreciate any advice that is given here anthony

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site!

If all you're looking for is bottom end torque(idle to 3500)and not wanting to spend any money and do the work yourself, sure it's worth it to increase the efficiency it's just your time and it will be noticeable, blend all areas and remove all sharp edges and focus on the exhaust ports, with the right cam, dual plane intake you can have respectable torque and power, but that's about as far st it goes with those heads, if you're looking for more then you need to go to the large ovals (781-049)or if you want to spend money you can go for aftermarket heads, it all boils down to how much you want to spend..

anri65

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Thanks for info yes just low to mid range power curve . you say exh ports please explain a little more . I don't want to kill the scavaging effect I know the 2.73's are killing the fun times but i hope the 2.73 will be a happy medium

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Exhaust is critical you want the least restriction you can get that's power, round off any corners as much as you can, taper the valve guide area down and anything that looks like it would be a restriction to flow and make the port as smooth as you can, even polish it if you want to put the time in to do it.

anri65

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Thank you for you're quick replies and time Athony

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You're quite welcome.:cheers:

7903sc

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
peanut port heads work great in towing heavy loads, we tried a set of closed chamber oval ports on a 454 tow motor, lost torque and mpg, did a little work to the peanuts and put them back on.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, a good valve job and a clean up increases efficiency and get tons of torque right off idle..

I like this car..

image.php

7903sc

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thanks 74 shortbed, when the weather cools off here in AZ I'm going to try and run my first 7 second run

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, soon as this Monsoon crap leaves air will be good for racing again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68