painless wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wishigottaford

Reaction score
First Name
nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok guys so I've got an 82 swb first trans. problems then engine knock,I figured this was as good of a time as any to take her down to the frame and rebuild. I plan on doing it one section at a time currently I have front cap removed and will probably remove engine this week . The*wiring harness*is a mess inside and out. I was wondering if anyone has went with the painless kits. Thoughts on them? They are pretty pricey. I just can't see there being a need for all the dang wiring on the truck half or more of them aren't hooked to anything. I guess I need help deciding buying the 800 dollar kit or pulling all unused wires out and trying to just wire up necessary ones myself.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I would personally look into American Autowire rather than Painless. Painless is overrated.

wishigottaford

Reaction score
First Name
nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I would personally look into American Autowire rather than Painless. Painless is overrated.

Great thanks I thought painless pretty much had the monopoly on this I'll check them out.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
also look at EZ wire I put 1 in my 74 got it for like $150

Jonbarry816

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I only saw painless and thought the same thing...

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Painless is great if you want to locate the wiring harness back in its original spot and have the bulkhead thru the fire wall. You can use one of the other street rod universal harness but it will require mods to mount and you loose the bulkhead connections.

Check out this guys Youtube site. It has a full series of videos about wiring a C10 with a universal harness. He has a bunch of other videos of C10 stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-_O01HJUf8

wishigottaford

Reaction score
First Name
nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Painless is great if you want to locate the wiring harness back in its original spot and have the bulkhead thru the fire wall. You can use one of the other street rod universal harness but it will require mods to mount and you loose the bulkhead connections.

Check out this guys Youtube site. It has a full series of videos about wiring a C10 with a universal harness. He has a bunch of other videos of C10 stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-_O01HJUf8
Thanks alot I was definitely curious about the universal type kits that's great news

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size

^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^

I bought their kit from Summit for $80 less than on their site. The kit is top notch. Very easy process, but it's time consuming. They have everything in the kit that you could possibly need and I'm very pleased. I would recommend them over and over again. The directions are easy to follow. Love this kit.

The problem with universal kits is that you will have to reuse all of your plugs and harnesses which means that you'll be spending a lot more time cutting and splicing. I'm of the opinion that if you're going to do it, do it the correct way. The time and effort that you'll save with an American Autowire kit is worth the extra coin. And their techs are very friendly and know their stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500