One way to Locate Electrical Short..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So my turn/brake/emergency lights started blowing fuses due to a short in the wiring harness. I was working my way thru the 2nd box of fuses, trying different things. Decided to "jumper in" an old car horn where the 15 amp turn signal fuse goes.

Right turn signal, faint honking in time with the blinker, right side bulbs lighting up as they should.
Left turn signal, LOUD honking in time with the blinker, NO left side bulbs lighting up. (Short located on left side turn signal circuit...)
Started working my way up and down the bundles of left turn signal wiring along firewall and under truck gently bumping wiring, horn went from LOUD to faint honking, kept bumping wires till tiny insulation abrasion was found.

Total time to locate electrical short, 10 minutes! :)

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
So my turn/brake/emergency lights started blowing fuses due to a short in the wiring harness. I was working my way thru the 2nd box of fuses, trying different things. Decided to "jumper in" an old car horn where the 15 amp turn signal fuse goes.

Right turn signal, faint honking in time with the blinker, right side bulbs lighting up as they should.
Left turn signal, LOUD honking in time with the blinker, NO left side bulbs lighting up. (Short located on left side turn signal circuit...)
Started working my way up and down the bundles of left turn signal wiring along firewall and under truck gently bumping wiring, horn went from LOUD to faint honking, kept bumping wires till tiny insulation abrasion was found.

Total time to locate electrical short, 10 minutes! :)

That's one way to do it! I like it, haha.:cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB