Oil pressure Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

narcolepticpug

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
My 1987 suburban v20 4x4 has a high oil pressure issue. i bought the truck a month ago, and noticed right a way that when i start the truck. the oil pressure was pegged high. I didnt think much of it knowing that it was a 99% chance that it was just the sensor. So iv been doing other much needed work on the truck. well today I got my oil pressure sending unit, and replaced it. well I still have high oil pressure. I noticed it bounces around at the top of the gauge now, but still high oil pressure. what else could i check to fix this issue.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It may be the gauge, printed circuit, or wiring. I'd retest with a mechanical gauge if you can get your hands on one. You used the canister type sending unit and not the switch? I'm not doubting you. If there is a high pressure condition, the high pressure relief valve may be plugged up inside the oil pump. If you don't want to go the electrical course of action, you could try changing the oil pump, oil, and filter (not Fram!).

Last edited:

narcolepticpug

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
It may be the gauge, printed circuit, or wiring. I'd retest with a mechanical gauge if you can get your hands on one. You used the canister type sending unit and not the switch? I'm not doubting you. If there is a high pressure condition, the high pressure relief valve may be plugged up inside the oil pump. If you don't want to go the electrical course of action, you could try changing the oil pump, oil, and filter (not Fram!).

thank you. I got a mec oil gauge. Im going to switch it over to that tomorrow. it is just to cold and windy outside to spend a lot of time out there. I will probably change out the oil pump next weekend just because im sure its old. If it is the high pressure relief valve. how much damage could be done by driving around today. i have to get down the mountain today and was planing on taking the truck.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now

Not fram? Have you had bad experience?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size

I have, their filters are cardboard and it breaks up after a while and goes through the oil passages. Not good.

My TPI has high oil pressure, when it warms up the pressure goes down but still quite high. It isn't knocking and only a minor leak so I am not too worried about it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

I haven't personally, but I've read several people having bad experiences, and I wanted OP to be privy to that information. There are plenty of good filters out there. I've used STP, Wix/NAPA Gold, and AC Delco filters with good results.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I use wix to but i used to run fram never had any issues 236k on my old honda got it a yr old and 10k miles

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I understand. My mom's had a Fram on her '02 Burb for 194,000 miles, and it's always been fine. There is much better stuff out there for the same or similar price, though, so I would never consider using Fram with people that I know, know of, or have read about having poor experiences with them.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
If I may add....

I worked as an ASE certified technician in various shops for about twelve years, full service until about 2005. I started at Jiffy Lube in high school.

In the whole of my experience, I have only ever seen TWO catastrophic engine failures result from an oil filter issue and they were both FRAM.

I use blue Delcos. My second choice is WIX.

As you were.

Last edited:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Had a buddy who had a Fram blow apart internally, sending debris to the crank bearings, destroying the engine. Fram told him they wouldn't cover it. I had one fail the same day it was installed. The drove 175mi non-stop to a major city, and when it encounter rush hour traffic, and traffic jams on the freeway, it had no oil pressure at idle. Since that filter was installed just prior to the road trip, it was fairly obvious what the cause was. Drove to where a new filter could be installed, and the problem was solved. I've read countless other stories of lost oil pressure, or other oil pressure issues, all solved by removing the junk Fram filter, and replacing it with anything else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71