Oil Pressure gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morleybc

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 85 C10. I noticed my oil pressure was acting strange. My oil level is fine. The oil pressure gauge reads "0" when the truck is off. When I start the truck the gauge pegs all the way to the right reading "60". I verified voltage to the sending unit. Then I replaced the oil sending unit not knowing if it was good or not. The gauge is still acting the same after doing this. Does this mean that the oil pressure gauge is bad?Any information about this situation will greatly appreciated! Thanks

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
What did it do before? Maybe you have a high volume pump or high pressure pump that pumps 60 psi.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I know that my 76 does that when she's coldbut stabilizes after a few minutes. A suggestion would be to put a mechanical gauge in to test. If that shows the same thing, then the gauge is good. If not, replace the gauge.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Turn the ignition key to "RUN" without starting the engine. Does the pressure gauge still peg high?

If it does - and you have already replaced the sender - the sensing lead to the sender is probably shorted to ground.

To verify this, pull the tan lead off the sender and check the gauge (key in RUN).

If it is still reading 60+, the tan lead is shorted to ground. Inspect the wiring for failed insulation and contact with a ground point.

If the gauge drops to 0 with the sensing lead disconnected, the sender is bad.

Could also be a bad PC board.

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
Problem i was having i have voltage from the sending unit to the wire on the harness, good gauge (after buying a new one) the only thing i haven't tried is changing out the lower sensor which on the base models controls the dummy light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody