Oil pressure gauge pegged high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Got an 87 350 TBI, all gauges working except my oil pressure gauge. Gauge is pegged high all the time. 3 o clock position.

When I originally got the truck the wiring was hacked to pieces. Lose ends everywhere. But yet everything works fine, truck runs fine, except oil pressure gauge.

I recently replaced the oil pressure sender on driver side of the engine. But can find the wire it needs to connect to it?

There is a tan/white stripe wire cut and hanging. Blue and Green wires cut and hanging, which I believe go to the gearbox for reverse lights?

I can't seem to find any other wires that would lead to the sender

Another question I have is. Would the oil pressure switch behind the distributor have any effect on the gauge if it's gone bad?

I can reset the gauge where ever I want and when I turn the truck on it pegs right to 3oclock again.

So to clarify, which wire goes to the oil pressure sender on the drivers side?

Would a bad oil pressure switch peg your oil pressure gauge on high?

Thanks

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
my 85 has 2 different devices connected with a 't' to the engine.

one is an idiot light connection and one is a gauge connection.

sender vs sensor ?

anyway, my oil gauge was pegged until i connected it to a new sender.
(it was previously unconnected as the 350 had been swapped with an older 350 with no sender attached)

good luck

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
my 85 has 2 different devices connected with a 't' to the engine.

one is an idiot light connection and one is a gauge connection.

sender vs sensor ?

anyway, my oil gauge was pegged until i connected it to a new sender.
(it was previously unconnected as the 350 had been swapped with an older 350 with no sender attached)

good luck

My sender isn't attached to anything right now either because I can't seem to find what it attaches to, I've tried connecting it to ever loose end that's there and still nothing. Just stays pegged. What color wire does yours connect to?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind