Np208 Won't Shift Into Neutral Or 4 Low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
I bought my 86 k25 and it won't shift into neutral or 4low I can shift from 2wd to 4high but it won't go any more. I don't want to jam it and f$ck it up as this is my daily driver and I have no garage right now. It shift fine from 2wd-4hi / 4hi-2wd I'm new to t-cases and would hate to have to take and replace this.

JimD-in-AZ

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne 4x4 with A/C
Engine Size
350ci 600cfm EB / 700R4 / NP 208
I bought my 86 k25 and it won't shift into neutral or 4low I can shift from 2wd to 4high but it won't go any more. I don't want to jam it and f$ck it up as this is my daily driver and I have no garage right now. It shift fine from 2wd-4hi / 4hi-2wd I'm new to t-cases and would hate to have to take and replace this.

The basic answer to this problem would be... To shift np208 transfer case to neutral or 4 Low, at full stop with foot on brake and transmission in neutral, grab transfer shift lever and pull back to 2 Hi. When the lever stops in 2 Hi push lever to the right (towards passenger door), when it stops going to the right pull back on the shift lever again.
This should allow you to get to neutral then into 4 low. If this does not work then there is something preventing the linkage from pivoting to the right on the case once your in 4 hi.

Jim

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
My transfer shifts from 2wd to 4hi to neutral to 4low but only go's into 4hi and 2wd

JimD-in-AZ

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne 4x4 with A/C
Engine Size
350ci 600cfm EB / 700R4 / NP 208
Broken fork?

I can shift from 2wd to 4high but it won't go any more. I don't want to jam it and f$ck it up as this is my daily driver and I have no garage right now. It shift fine from 2wd-4hi / 4hi-2wd
My response of a simple lesson on shifting the GM np208, was in response to you saying in the original post (quoted in part right above this line )that the lever would not move to the neutral or 4 low positions & you didn't want to jam it. Now with that being said. Your newest response, indicated you meant something different, in which case I now provide you with a different answer just below here. I hope this one helps Mike.

My transfer shifts from 2wd to 4hi to neutral to 4low but only go's into 4hi and 2wd

Well if the lever travels back to the neutral & 4 low positions then unfortunately it sounds like the Range fork is broken so it cannot change from high to low range.. Ouch.. fork kits for under $50 can be replaced in truck, by removing back half of tcase. Get a good book before attempting as it will save a few headaches from visiting you. Someone told me one of those Haynes or another publisher made very easy and his previous headaches disappeared from repeated re-assemble issues. If I can recall which manual, I'll get back to you. This Link below has really good prices on everything np208 related.
201938C RangeFork - Steel #15372, included Dodge/GMC
1981-88

Jim

Last edited:

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
Crap my 82 is doing the same thing, not sure when the last time N or 4LO was used, probably 15 years ago or more if at all. i'll add it to the list of stuff to do, i will have to pull out the shop manual and get to it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast