NP205 4wd Indicator Switch Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
From what I am seeing, the 4wd indicator switch is normally open.

If that is correct, can I just put a piece of wire in the electrical connector that plugs on it to complete the circuit and test to see if the dash light comes on?

I may be 100% wrong, which is why I ask.

Their tech note 2 has me confused:

http://www.quad4x4.com/catalog/qu30048

I assume "normally on" really means normally open.

Thanks !

Britt

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It may be that the 4x4 dash indicator light is always HOT, and it's just depending on the Tcase switch to complete a ground. We have to look or ask @chengny to know for certain.

IMO normally open means the circuit is NOT complete which means it's NOT on. Normally it takes a closed or completed circuit to make something come On. Or did I maybe misunderstand what you're trying to get at? :shrug:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
It may be that the 4x4 dash indicator light is always HOT, and it's just depending on the Tcase switch to complete a ground. We have to look or ask @chengny to know for certain.

IMO normally open means the circuit is NOT complete which means it's NOT on. Normally it takes a closed or completed circuit to make something come On. Or did I maybe misunderstand what you're trying to get at? :shrug:

That is the way I would interpret Normally Open as well. So, when the switch closes, the circuit completes, and the bulb lights.

But in your first sentence, if the switch finds a ground to complete the circuit, then it seems to me that my wire idea would not work.

Never have been good at electrical, but DC makes more sense to me than AC.

First time wiring a ceiling fan with a buddy we got it wrong- rewired it and all was well.

DC - ain't so forgiving ...

:mexsmoke:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I'd try your wire method? What's the worst that can happen? If you jump it and the light comes on then great. If you jump it and nothing happens then the worst that I'd think could happen is blow out the light bulb right? :shrug: You're just talking about jumping the pigtail that plugs into the Tcase right? If it's depending on the switch ONLY to complete the circuit then whether or not it's completing a positive power or closing a ground really doesn't matter just so long as the circuit is being completed in this case via jumper wire instead of a switch at the Tcase. I'd jump it just to see what happens. It's not like it's going to burn the truck to the ground. That won't happen.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That is the way I would interpret Normally Open as well. So, when the switch closes, the circuit completes, and the bulb lights.

But in your first sentence, if the switch finds a ground to complete the circuit, then it seems to me that my wire idea would not work.

Never have been good at electrical, but DC makes more sense to me than AC.

First time wiring a ceiling fan with a buddy we got it wrong- rewired it and all was well.

DC - ain't so forgiving ...

:mexsmoke:

That switch is NO (i.e when the TC is in either N or 2WD) if 4WD is seleted, the switch closes and completes a path to ground. The other leg of the lamp is always hot:

You must be registered for see images attach

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
That switch is NO (i.e when the TC is in either N or 2WD) if 4WD is seleted, the switch closes and completes a path to ground. The other leg of the lamp is always hot:

Thank you - I will try a jumper and see if it lights.

I found an old post of yours that said to check for continuity on the switch- my cheapo meter instructions don't show that as an option.

That same post mentioned that you rebuilt your switch- how did you get it apart ?

I assume that is what you meant by rebuilt.
:think:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Jumper wire worked !

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
DOH, see I was right about that close the ground and the bulb always hot. That's actually normally rare on US made vehicles but common for Foreign vehicles. I have a feeling I may have dealt with that in the past and why I suggested it, cuz I'm rarely not that smart and damn sure not that good of a guesser. :lol:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising