NP203 pushing oil into gearbox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goat

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Hi Guys,
I have a 74 GMC 2500 with the CH465 gearbox mated to the NP203 full time chain driven transfer case. I think Chevy only built trucks with this combo in 73-74.
Anyways I knew the 203 had a leak, so I would keep an eye on the oil level and top it off every so often. However, it seemed odd that I was topping it off as often as I was and there seemed to be very little leakage under the truck.
Then this winter rolls around, and the clutch pedal started getting sticky. It got so bad that I had to use my foot to pull it up after changing gears because it stayed all the way down on the floor.
I figured the cold weather had caused something in the linkage to get sticky, so I lubricated all the pivot points and everything seemed fine, yet the pedal was still sticking to the floor.
Then I took the fill plug out of the gearbox and oil poured out for what seemed like several minutes. Mind you, this isnt the drain plug. Its the point that you fill to.
After I drained the overfill, the clutch pedal worked much better.
I replaced the gear oil in the gearbox this summer when I bought the truck, so I know that I did not over fill it.
I'm left thinking that the transfer case was pushing oil into the gearbox, which made the clutch sticky. What do you guys think?
Next, how do I go about fixing it? When I bought the truck it came with the mile marker part time conversion kit, so I'm thinking now would be a good time to replace the seals in the transfer case and install this part time kit.
Does anyone have experience with this project? I've never done anything like it before. The biggest job I've ever done was a headgasket on an inline 6.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't see how the fluid level in the trans can cause a sticking clutch pedal. It has to be coincidental.

What fluid have you been filling the 203 with? It should be motor oil, but a lot of people are unaware and fill them with gear lube.

goat

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I use 10w-30 in the NP203. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but the sticky clutch seemed to get better when I drained the gearbox:shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76