Noob here, speedometer gear housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I went underneath to check out the driven gear after I ran my speedometer cable and it looks like it’s just plugged with a bolt (this is where it goes right?). If that’s the case, how do I know what kind of speedometer gearto get. A 3 speed transmission is what was dropped in.

You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Fill out the info and it'll tell ya what gears you need, you'll have to get a TH350 sleeve for the driven gear..

http://www.bgsoflex.com/speedo1.html

You must be registered for see images

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Fill out the info and it'll tell ya what gears you need, you'll have to get a TH350 sleeve for the driven gear..

http://www.bgsoflex.com/speedo1.html

You must be registered for see images

To figure out the gears...instead of pulling the cover off. Can I mark the tire and driveshaft. Spin driveshaft and figure out how many turns it takes for tire to make 1 complete rotation?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
To figure out the gears...instead of pulling the cover off. Can I mark the tire and driveshaft. Spin driveshaft and figure out how many turns it takes for tire to make 1 complete rotation?
If it's an open diff leave one wheel on the ground, turn the wheel one revolution and count how many times the driveshaft turns. Also pop the plug on the housing and see if there's a drive gear on the shaft, they are color coded so note the color and look on a chart and it'll tell how many teeth it has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man