No turn signals with running lights or headlights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So as the title read, my turn signals do not work with the running lights on or the headlights on. I recently installed a relay harness and it all worked fine. I then installed some LED headlights with halo rings that turn Amber with the signals. So I wired them up the way the front signals were minus a ground because the headlights use the socket ground. So I turned the lights on and my halo rings were illuminated Amber telling me the signal circuit had power. I unplugged the front signals from the halo wires and grabbed my meter, there is 5v on the signal circuit when I turn the running lights on. I thought maybe the grounds from the front signals needed to be connected so I tried some jumper wires and it didn’t make a difference. I did not actually bolt them down but I used some alligator clips on clean metal and didn’t seem to notice any change. Any one have an idea of where this 5v signal is coming from? I also recently started having the wipers come on when I use my right turn signal which is annoying since I just replaced the wiper switch, but I believe the wiper issue happened about the same time as the signal issue. And I put the wiper switch in a few weeks back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anybody?

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Grounds other than the ones you checked.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The only 3 I can think of is the two on the core support and engine other than ones I have added for stuff with the bed. I was wondering if it has anything to do with how the turn signals switch the signal up, and me unhooking the front signals. But when I plugged them into the new halo/signal they worked perfect alternating the halo/side marker signal until I tuned the lights on. Then they just stay Amber while the lights are on and no signals work unless I use the hazards.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
Engine Size
Did you mess with the steering column wiring at all???

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Could it be the wires for the halo are backwards. I just had a similar issue with led side lights i installed on my flatbed that would work with flashers but not with running lights. Then i reversed the wires and they worked perfect.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Could it be the wires for the halo are backwards. I just had a similar issue with led side lights i installed on my flatbed that would work with flashers but not with running lights. Then i reversed the wires and they worked perfect.
There are only two wires for the halos since they utilize the headlight plug ground, one wire for Amber and one for white

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you mess with the steering column wiring at all???
Last time I was in there I only messed with installing the wiper switch, the column is in poor shape and needs replaced. All of the contacts for the horn switch are destroyed and the turn signal switch was a little crunchy, cleaned it up and greased it again and it feels better but still a little clunky to operate.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
Engine Size
Might be the problem.

Edward Koleman

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Have you replaced the turn signal relay on the fuse panel with a grounded led relay module?

wingman50

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L
I’m struggling with a similar issue attempting to convert tail lights and front parking/turn signals to LED’s. Don’t have a definitive answer however Reasearch I’ve done may help you.

Changed the 552 flasher to a polarity independent solid state flasher with a chassis ground and got the tail lights/signal lights working. My problem is with the fronts. The signals work only with the lights off. The front signals alternately blink with the side markers. LED’s require much less current than the original 1157 bulbs so the 5 volts you are measuring is leaking into your running lights and wipers and not your flasher is detecting a faulty bulb. You can try changing the flasher. Look at your old flasher, turn it upside down and look at the connecters, there will be an “X” next to one terminal and an “L” next to the other. The “X” is the 12 volts IN and the “L” is the load to the lights. When LED’s are installed in place of 1157 bulbs the bi-metal 552 flashers generally will not trigger from the removal of the 1157 bulbs. If you change the flasher make sure the “X” and “L” are the same as the 552 flasher. If you have the stock fuse block they should be the same.

My Reasearch also said to NEVER use ANY “Load Equalizer type Shorting Resistors” that connect to each side signal wire and go to ground, they short circuit the electrical system, drag the voltage low, create extreme amounts of heat and have set fires and melted wiring in both automobiles and motorcycles in attempts to load thermal 552 flashers.

I hope this helps you understand what could be going on with your LED conversion.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have you replaced the turn signal relay on the fuse panel with a grounded led relay module?
I just bought an adjustable solid state relay but it’s only 2 pin. I may get a 3 pin electronic relay and try them at. I have not tried the new 2 pin one yet.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I tried the adjustable flasher and it atleast makes the flashers work with the lights on but I still have the 5v, I didn’t actually check for 5v this time but my turn indicators on the dash are still partially illuminated with the lights on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64