no off position on fan control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heviarti

Reaction score
First Name
Buck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
383 Stroker
How is it that the blower fan switch has no 'off' position? It will run at all three speeds listed on the plate, but there is no 'off'. Why is there no way to shut off the fan?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
How is it that the blower fan switch has no 'off' position? It will run at all three speeds listed on the plate, but there is no 'off'. Why is there no way to shut off the fan?

You have to use the A/C and vent position control to shut off the fan. Moving it all the way to the left shuts it off, except on the mid 70's trucks that ran it all the time for cabin ventilation. It's possible that may be the case on your 79'.

heviarti

Reaction score
First Name
Buck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
383 Stroker
hmm. I guess that means that there is supposed to be a lever in that position...

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
the earlier cabs did not have air vents by your feet on the kick panels so they used constant ventilation to do the job.

If you have air vents then you should be able to shut it off unless you have no air vents then you can not.

heviarti

Reaction score
First Name
Buck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
383 Stroker
Yeah, I have vents. Seems like pretty much every manufacturer has forgotten how to make those anymore. Vents are a big reason I buy older vehicles. I think my heater control must be missing a piece.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I like those kick panel vents too. Can get plenty of air moving around in the cab with those things open. The downside is when leaves collect in the plenum and coming spewing inside the cab while driving down the road. But a nice screen would keep the leaves out.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
the earlier cabs did not have air vents by your feet on the kick panels so they used constant ventilation to do the job.

If you have air vents then you should be able to shut it off unless you have no air vents then you can not.

What year did these kick panel vents come into play? My truck which is a "74" and I quote that loosely has a cab with kick panel vents.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
This sounds like a non-A/C truck to have floor vents. The A/C and non-A/C trucks of the era run the fan all the time, even in the off position. Lessens the chance of CO poisoning and is a hold over from the 'Astro Ventilation' era, IMHO.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
My 84' with A/C has the climate controls controlling the vent. It still has a vent but not a manual vent.

Mine does not run the fan all the time if OFF is selected with the climate controls.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What year did these kick panel vents come into play? My truck which is a "74" and I quote that loosely has a cab with kick panel vents.

Yours is A/C or non A/C ?

Is yours the original cab ?

Has the vent been added as a retro fit ?

73-87 came with manual vents
75-87 came with A/C vents

I have never personally seen one with out vents. So its quite possible that Im full of **** simply repeating an old wives tale

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You have to use the A/C and vent position control to shut off the fan. Moving it all the way to the left shuts it off, except on the mid 70's trucks that ran it all the time for cabin ventilation. It's possible that may be the case on your 79'.

heviarti:

hmm. I guess that means that there is supposed to be a lever in that position...

The fan is able to be completely turned off only if the truck is equipped with air conditioning. With a "heat only" system no OFF position is available. The selected blower speed is limited to 3 choices (i.e. High, Medium or Low):

Moving the selector lever to OFF on a "heat only" control panel only blocks the flow of air into the cabin. It has no effect on the speed of the blower. The blower will continue to run at whatever speed is selected:

You must be registered for see images attach

Even with an AC equipped truck, the blower speed switch has no OFF position. However, moving the selector lever to OFF blocks the air flow into the cabin and also completely shuts the fan down:

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76