NO fuel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
C10 1986 305 edelbrock 1406 carb. & performer Intake and 700r4. New Tank and Sending Unit and it wont start just replaced the fuel pump and yes i did inspect lines(no kinks or leaks) made sure the push rod was in the right spot made sure the lines were ran correctly and just took top off carb cleaned it blew compressed air through it put back the right way and nothing still no gas i bought the tank and sending unit last summer during the restoration and i have started it and drove recenlty any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Pour some gas in the carb vent tube, and let her run on that to prime the system at a higher rpm than the starter is capable of...you have to do that sometimes after servicing, especially with the return line on there.

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ok thanks jim ill try that i did use gas but she would just burn throught and die im really starting to think this fuel pump is shot its a couple days old i called advanced auto to make sure it wasnt a remanufactured or refurbished one and its not if this doesnt help what should i try next is there any way to check this

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok thanks jim ill try that i did use gas but she would just burn throught and die im really starting to think this fuel pump is shot its a couple days old i called advanced auto to make sure it wasnt a remanufactured or refurbished one and its not if this doesnt help what should i try next is there any way to check this

Get some rubber fuel hose, and connect it to your fuel pump inlet, and stick the other end in a bucket with about a gallon of gas. Take the line off of your carb, an stick it in a 2 liter bottle, go crank and see if the pump transfers the gas to the bottle.
Take a pic of your fuel pump, and carb and post up....we can usually help a little better if we can have a look.
Another possibility is, that you have the fuel pump feed lines swapped, and you may be trying to draw from the return line.

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Carb on fire

I went and dumped gas into carb. And it started and died and i did this a few times and the gasket that goes under air filter cought on fire ( the little ring) and it made a pop sound i noticed that the choke rod is sticking it gets stuck like it doesnt want to go down could that be my problem?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I went and dumped gas into carb. And it started and died and i did this a few times and the gasket that goes under air filter cought on fire ( the little ring) and it made a pop sound i noticed that the choke rod is sticking it gets stuck like it doesnt want to go down could that be my problem?

The choke rod wont keep gas from getting to the carburetor. The Choke is there to help richen up the air/fuel mixture for warm up. When the engine is cold, and the choke is set, I like to have the choke a little less than a 1/4" open on the air horn, then fine adjust from there.
But we need to confirm that you are getting fel to the carb. The pop is the gas that you poured in depleting, and the engine runs lean and backfires at the last second.
You may have also swapped the feed and return lines at the tank.
Ar you able to pull the fuel line from the carburetor, and stick it in a bottle and crank the truck to see if its pumping?

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank u jim!

THANK U! Kind sir i did what u said with the 2 bottles and rubber lines its got to be the lines running back to the tank must be clogged or sending unit clogged or something but the pump is working and truck ran fine im going to take the 8ft. bed back off and go buy new lines i checked these lines last week and they were fine im starting to suspect something is wrong with sending unit could this be?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
THANK U! Kind sir i did what u said with the 2 bottles and rubber lines its got to be the lines running back to the tank must be clogged or sending unit clogged or something but the pump is working and truck ran fine im going to take the 8ft. bed back off and go buy new lines i checked these lines last week and they were fine im starting to suspect something is wrong with sending unit could this be?

Unless its plugged or bent, no. While your at it, replace the pick up sock in the tank.
Did you try swapping the 2 lines going to the pump?
The 3/8 line is the main fuel line to your pump.
The 5/16 line is the return line.
then there is a third line, which I believe is 1/4 inch, that isnthe line going to the charcoal cannister up front

Boudin

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20-HD
Engine Size
LT9 350
One thing I did when replacing my entire fuel system (I have the dual tank option) is putting one of those in-line pressure gauges on the fuel line from the pump to the carb. I also did away with the carburetor inlet filter (qjet) and used a two stage inline filter from proform. It should read between 5.5-7 psi at idle. It has helped me diagnose a lot of issues and was well worth the 20 bucks it cost me. Just a suggestion.

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanx but it still wont start

i just bought new fuel lines and hooked them up i hooked them up they way they were before (when the truck ran) but now it wont start i swapped the lines end checked but im not even sure wich line is wich on the sending unit yes i know that the 3/8 line is the send and the 5/16 is the vent and the 1/4 the return right i had it the return and the vent swapped and the truck ran i switched them to what i thuoght was the right way and it dont run eighter i did prime the carb with gas and im looking at the sending unit i see the 3 lines and i noticed the big long one in the middle is that the main feed ? can anyone post a pic of a sending unit with the in and out and vent marked on the tubes

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i just bought new fuel lines and hooked them up i hooked them up they way they were before (when the truck ran) but now it wont start i swapped the lines end checked but im not even sure wich line is wich on the sending unit yes i know that the 3/8 line is the send and the 5/16 is the vent and the 1/4 the return right i had it the return and the vent swapped and the truck ran i switched them to what i thuoght was the right way and it dont run eighter i did prime the carb with gas and im looking at the sending unit i see the 3 lines and i noticed the big long one in the middle is that the main feed ? can anyone post a pic of a sending unit with the in and out and vent marked on the tubes

If you have the tank down, take the sender out and inspect it.

while you still have the tank down, hook, it up, and try to start it. Also, on my suburban, there is a set of rubber lines on the frame, right about even with the rear of the front door....check those if you have them, not

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
DANG! can anyone asnwer this

Dropping the tank is not what i plan on doing i think i should be able to pull and inspect sending unit after i pull the bed off completly. how would i determine if i need to replace sending unit and if i do could i switch to a 2 port sending unit becouse mine has 3 and i plugged that vent line again i ask if u happen to klnow why the middle line on that sending unit is longer than the other 2 is it the main feed ? can sending units go bad ? this one is less than a year old i bought it new trucks only been driven 3 times since less than 20 miles i dont get it

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
help me someone

First and foremost i need to verify that the lines are hooked up right if im to determine if the sending unit works i cant post pics i broke my wifes $ 350 canon camera yesterday while trying to take pics to post i cant seem to figure out what format this site will accept for pics it doesnt tell me and i tried emailing myself pics and posting them and i couldnt do it so yeah what line is what on my sending unit 3 ports all diff sizes and the mid one is longer i hooked it up first this way: 3/8 to main feed 5/16 (mid One,long one) return and 1/4 vent wich i plugged and unplugged when trying to turn her over

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I might be able to help with the problem posting pics. Usually the newer digital cams take pics that are very large dpi and file size. You have to open them in Microsoft Paint and resize (downsize) them so their dimensions and file size are acceptable for the forum. With the limited bandwidth of the server it cant host thousands of 2 megabyte, 4096x3072 dpi images. Depending on your operating system there are different ways to resize images in Paint. If you need more help give me a shout!

And for the new sending unit being bad, it wouldnt surprise me, especially if you bought it from Advance Auto. That place sell so much made in China **** it aint funny. Many things I've bought from there didnt last no time. I'll buy fluids, filters, things like that there but actual hard parts you might be better off buying elsewhere.

Now moving upstream, did you ever take the carb fuel line off, put it in a bottle and crank it a little to see if fuel is getting to the carb? You may want to pull the big "hot" wire off the distributor before doing this to be safe. If you got fuel pumping out then I think I know what the problem is. Modern ethanol gas deteriorates rubber fuel lines. If this truck hasnt been running a fuel filter, or has been running one of those glass "cleanable" units, the black sand-like particles of deteriorated rubber has made its way into the carb. I had to take the top off my 1406 and with a bit of gas in a small bucket and a straightened out piece of bailing wire, clean out the fuel inlet rail. That black sand looking crap gets clogged up in that fuel rail and it wont get gas. Just dig at it, rinse it in the bucket, repeat until you're sure you got it all out. And when you put the carb top back on PUT ON A GOOD FUEL FILTER!! Throw the glass one in the trash if that's what it's got and get a regular AC Delco filter, maybe 2 of em and keep one in the glovebox. You may also want to take the time to replace the black rubber fuel lines for the newer neoprene lines that dont break down when exposed to ethanol. Hope something here helps! Oh and dont forget to hook the hot wire back up on the distributor!! :lol:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I might be able to help with the problem posting pics. Usually the newer digital cams take pics that are very large dpi and file size. You have to open them in Microsoft Paint and resize (downsize) them so their dimensions and file size are acceptable for the forum. With the limited bandwidth of the server it cant host thousands of 2 megabyte, 4096x3072 dpi images. Depending on your operating system there are different ways to resize images in Paint. If you need more help give me a shout!

And for the new sending unit being bad, it wouldnt surprise me, especially if you bought it from Advance Auto. That place sell so much made in China **** it aint funny. Many things I've bought from there didnt last no time. I'll buy fluids, filters, things like that there but actual hard parts you might be better off buying elsewhere.

Now moving upstream, did you ever take the carb fuel line off, put it in a bottle and crank it a little to see if fuel is getting to the carb? You may want to pull the big "hot" wire off the distributor before doing this to be safe. If you got fuel pumping out then I think I know what the problem is. Modern ethanol gas deteriorates rubber fuel lines. If this truck hasnt been running a fuel filter, or has been running one of those glass "cleanable" units, the black sand-like particles of deteriorated rubber has made its way into the carb. I had to take the top off my 1406 and with a bit of gas in a small bucket and a straightened out piece of bailing wire, clean out the fuel inlet rail. That black sand looking crap gets clogged up in that fuel rail and it wont get gas. Just dig at it, rinse it in the bucket, repeat until you're sure you got it all out. And when you put the carb top back on PUT ON A GOOD FUEL FILTER!! Throw the glass one in the trash if that's what it's got and get a regular AC Delco filter, maybe 2 of em and keep one in the glovebox. You may also want to take the time to replace the black rubber fuel lines for the newer neoprene lines that dont break down when exposed to ethanol. Hope something here helps! Oh and dont forget to hook the hot wire back up on the distributor!! :lol:

Yup, What He said.
If the sender has a leak on the pickup line in the tank, the pump will just suck air.
Dont plug anything off, connect everything correctly. There is a reason that vent line is there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000