No fuel to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Great post.

Thanks for the update and good numbers man, sounds like a lucky truck to me.

Now all you gotta do it quit messin with it lol but we both know that's the hard part! :)

My internet shows this ad now...

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
No filter between mechanical pump and carb.

Truck never skipped a beat untill I got off the interstate. It would idle fine but if I let off the clutch it would die. I unplugged the electric fuel pump and truck drove great around town. Getting back on the interstate the truck immediately struggled to maintain 50mph. I pulled over and plugged the electric pump back in and the truck drove home no problem.

You got the Holley bronze ..it's in there.

Now that you can make it run, 150 miles to 80mph mixed city and highway is good enough for me to validate the ability on the micro electric pump to run an SBC.
I'm WAY MORE confident about mine now, thanks.

But whats the root of your issue?im leaning towards too much fuel pressure. What is the status of your return in this truck? Used at all or???

Im not satisified with what appears to be a band-aid as the cause remains. This aint over yet..?? It's not fixed just because it runs down the highway...

Bad mechanical pump, yes?
I am miles away from bad cam eccentric and ive actually read the entire thread now :)

Again, I wish to re-iterate to the audience that I have never one time seen anything good come from a MR gasket dial regulator like you posted. They rattle when you shake em - it's all bad. :nono:

It says Holley carb but which one? Your 79 has a fuel return but the carburetor does not?
I imagine you may require a three way fuel pump? :yucky: My 75K5 had one if that helps. Return line was 5/16.

The electric pump should not be necessary but thanks. :cheers:

Last edited:

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
I put 100 miles on the day before I drove 150 miles. so at least 250 miles no hiccups with the electric pump.

Definitely could have been too much pressure running the mechanical and electric pump together.
no return fuel line on the truck. Been that way since I bought it

I think the mechanical pump failed leaving my on roadside. But the truck didn’t run the same after just replacing the mechanical pump. It’s had alittle problem lately with what I thought was vapor lock but may have been the cam lobe wearing out

I’m running this Holley carb
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80555C
Been on the truck 5 years no problems

My 79’ burb is all factory n has the 3 way fuel pump. I’m sure it would help to setup a return fuel line on the old dually but it ran no problem for 5 years so why would it need a return line now?

Electric pump shouldn’t be needed but after checking the sending unit, replacing all the rubber lines, new filter, removing the tank switching valve, new mechanical fuel pump the truck still didn’t run right especially at high rpm when it was warmed up.

I’ve done a lot to the old dually the past 5 years. Here a quick list.
New Holley carb, Rebuilt radiator, Heater core, Power steering pump rebuild, Power steering lines, Exhaust, Cab marker lights, Rear brake rebuild, clutch x2, tcase seals, Front axle king pins/wheel bearings, Energy suspension Cab mounts, swaybar bushing, New 2” hd lift front leafs, greasable bushings for leafs, Hd 2” Rear shackle flip, Hd hangers front and rear, shocks, Rebuilt front drive shaft, rear drive shaft ujoints, New front calipers/rotors/pads, Braided extended brake lines, Steering brace, Weld on frame repair, Aftermarket tach, New fluid in trans/tcase, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Crossover steering, psc 2wd steering box, Crossover sway bar, Ujoint Steering shaft, Front bump stops. I’m sure there’s more

At this point I’m happy with the trucks suspension,brakes,steering so next is to swap a new engine into the truck. Been planning on a fuel injected big block. Hopefully this electric pump gets me by till the swap

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I bet it does. Reckon the main concern will be heat soak. May be a wise move to ensure proper insulation against excessive heat.

Annd if you have a three way fuel pump, one of those lines IS fuel return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man