no cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
k10 silverado, k10 suburban
Engine Size
1982 k10 suburban 6.2 diesel

the cruise does not work...would someone guide me in troubleshooting it?

is it vacuum activated? electronic?

i know nothing about its mechanics so any help would be greatly appreciated

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
1982 k10 suburban 6.2 diesel

the cruise does not work...would someone guide me in troubleshooting it?

is it vacuum activated? electronic?

i know nothing about its mechanics so any help would be greatly appreciated

it works with both........

first thing to do is to see if the vacuum pump at the back of the motor has any vacuum,,( the thing at the back of the motor where the distributor usually goes)..

if it does chase the hoses and make sure there is vacuum to anyplace that that Main vacuum hoses connect to,, look for broken lines,cracked T's and so forth,, there is a vacuum line under the dash where the brake peddle switch is,, if the line under there is disconnected/broken and leaks vacuum,, the cruse controller wont engage....make sure the vacuum switch is pushed up against the brake peddle all the way like the brake light switch is...

if there is any vacuum leaks the controller wont engage.......

also check to see if the fuse is blown......

thats about as far as im going to fo for now,,

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had a few minutes earlier and pulled the breather to check for initial vaccum and to my surprise there's good vaccum so at this point im not looking at a bad pump...im thinking the controller is somewhat at fault ...I've got vaccum going in...but none out to the servo...unless it wouldn't have any unless the cruise is activated?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You should get one of those hand-held vacuum pumps to test the diaphragms and vac switches. Need a wiring diagram too, and just jump the vac switches to see if they work. I dont know much about the system really.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
Engine Size
I did read somewhere online about 2 switches on the brake pedal having something to do w it...I think I see the switches..and one of the plungers sticks coming out...when I press the pedal it sticks up and sounds like a spring releasing when it comes out.

I need a vaccum and wiring diagram.

I have an old chiltons manual that only covers very little on the diesel trucks. And im sure the vaccum system is different than a factory gasser

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I did read somewhere online about 2 switches on the brake pedal having something to do w it...I think I see the switches..and one of the plungers sticks coming out...when I press the pedal it sticks up and sounds like a spring releasing when it comes out.

I need a vaccum and wiring diagram.

I have an old chiltons manual that only covers very little on the diesel trucks. And im sure the vaccum system is different than a factory gasser

the lil switch at the brake peddle is a vacuum release type switch,, it should hold vacuum when the button is pushed in,, when extended it causes a vacuum leak and the transducer under the hood will disengage..

thats about it as far as vacuum goes.. other than the 2 smog relays,, those on my truck got **** caned long time ago.....

now comes the fun part.....

i have a diagram for the cruse section,, but im unsure as how to get it to ya.....

Or ya could go out and buy the Mitchel's service manual......

it is the only manual that i know of that has the wiring diagram....

i got mine from an other source........

But 99% of the time its the Cruise Control Transducer that takes a **** and needs to be replaced...

And only!! a diesel transducer will work,, ya cant use a gaser one..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay