No Brake Lights or Rear Turn Signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WJD1979

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 Inline 6
Hello
I have a strange issue. 1979 C10. I just swapped from a 3spd on the column to an automatic. I swapped steering column from a 1975 and everything plugged right up. Now there are no rear break lights or rear turn signals. Front turn signals function as well as rear tail lights. All fuses and bulbs are new.
I do have one unplugged terminal under the column but I honestly can’t say if it was ever used? It is a plain truck - custom deluxe- could be “extra”?
I will attach a photo of that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The green/blue goes to the backup lights, there should be power on the blue wire with the key in run. Jumper the blue to the green and the reverse lights should come on.
Before going any further on your brake light issue, push and pull the hazard switch a couple times, sometimes that fixes weird taillight problems

Check for power on the orange wire at the brake light switch. Press the brake pedal, you should have power on the white wire. If so, check for power on the yellow and green wire coming out of the turn signal switch connector. if not, most likely tou have a bad turn signal switch. If you have power, check your tail light wiring.

WJD1979

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 Inline 6
Thank you very much - excellent advice.

thirstybob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hello
I have a strange issue. 1979 C10. I just swapped from a 3spd on the column to an automatic. I swapped steering column from a 1975 and everything plugged right up. Now there are no rear break lights or rear turn signals. Front turn signals function as well as rear tail lights. All fuses and bulbs are new.
I do have one unplugged terminal under the column but I honestly can’t say if it was ever used? It is a plain truck - custom deluxe- could be “extra”?
I will attach a photo of that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You must be registered for see images attach

My neutral safety switch was bad causing a fuse to blow for my brake lights and dash lights.

WJD1979

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 Inline 6
Thanks. I found a good steering column. I believe the problem is either the turn signal switch or the wiring in the column.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Check ground wire at rear,

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
CHECK CHEAP AND EASY (CHEAP MEANS FREE) FIXES OR POTENTIAL PROBLEMS before buying a column im sure for 50+ bucks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising