new to the forum.....just picked up a sweet K25!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronniebomb

Reaction score
First Name
ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
454/t400/np203
So, I thought I'd give an update on the ongoing work needed to get a truck back to everyday life when it hasn't been driven as such in many, many, years!
It's a never ending labor of love to get this thing truely road worthy as a work truck. I totally expected most of this, but........ when we're in the process of taking our 1970's ranch house, and converting it to an open concept design.........it's a true juggling act for time and resource management!
I finally did get rid of the engine missfire, one of the spark plug wires had been worn through by rubbing on the back of the air cleaner. In all of my years, this is a first!
- front brake job
- replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets, manifold to pipe doughnuts, added mufflers, and fixed numerous exhaust pipe leaks
- added cab lighting
- wired up the fog lights with a relay/switch combo
- had Linex spray a complete over the rail premium bed liner
- bought back the 33" tire/rim combo that I had sold with the 99burb to a buddy at work (had to talk him into the fact the burb needed 35's !!)
- added a temporary 1.5" front shackle kit to remedy the drop instigated by the original owner installing the 454 on sbc front springs
- replaced both transmission lines due to a kink incured with the engine swap
- replaced the fuel pump and line from pump to carb ....... *** this was a debacle due to the 454 being installed on sbc mounts which caused the motor to sit about 5/16" lower.....which entailed replacing the motor mounts also cause the correct bbc fuel pump with return line was hitting the frame crossmember!!!
- I had to clean the corrosion from years of non-operation on the following: ALL light bulb connections/sockets, windshield wiper motor connections (finicky wiper delay switch), horns, door jam switches.........

I still have many phases of improvements/upgrades that need to be done yet ......

Purchased from LMC for interior upgrades:
- correct 4wd carpet kit
- sound deadener/heat insulator matting for the cab floor
- door sills
- instrument cluster clear inserts
- aluminum dash inserts
- wing window seals, door seals, window felts
- one of those cool old school seat covers !! (only to protect the original seat material)

I'm still looking for a used truck tool box since there is absolutly no storage room in a standard cab!
Like to get a headache rack to go under the tool box also.

I'm having window tinting done on the 29th of this month.

This may take a couple of years to the truck to where I invision. But that's the beauty of making it my own.

I'm including (for the picture fans!) pix of the cab light instalation, and pix of the K25 next to my old 99 Burb that I sold my buddy at work.

You must be registered for see images attach

ronniebomb

Reaction score
First Name
ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
454/t400/np203

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know how I missed this thread. Howdy and that's an awesome truck your have!!!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Cab lights look great, but I'm biased. Glad your got the outer lights mounted correctly. Most people don't know they angle out.

FYI I ran into a problem with the fuel pump on my truck. The PO said he couldn't get it to fit, so he temporarily rigged up an electric. Turns out he was trying to use a 2WD version. The 454 4WD has a unique pump, at least for 3 port designs. It is shorter than the 2WD version causing a fit issue. In the series of pictures you can see my OEM pump, a Napa replacement and a Carter unit.

Napa has since changed from TRW (when I got this fuel pump) to Carter for their fuel pumps and no longer produce this shorter style pump. It is being advertised as the correct unit, but it is not. Airtex 41615 and BWD 41615 is the correct unit, but are out of production. I bought an NOS spare off eBay a couple of years ago.

Also that molded "S" hose is no longer produced and standard fuel line was kinking on me. I found that a 1970-81 Corvette with a 454 had a similar hose. I had to cut in the middle and add a small hard line to get the correct curve for my truck, but it works. Fuel line @ pump GM 3994298. Several of the Corvette parts houses carry this hose.

ronniebomb

Reaction score
First Name
ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
454/t400/np203
That's great info Craig! Thank you for the fuel pump knowledge, it all makes sense now after the fact! I would have never imagined a shorter fuel pump style for the 4wd's.
I did rotate the outer lights 20° so they'd be correct. I never noticed on any truck until I installed these, now I pay more attention when I see them on another truck to see if they're installed "correctly"!
Next fix due................. I have an oil leak towards the back of the motor....... possibly a valve cover or intake manifold leak I'm guessing. I'll have to pick up an engine gasket set today for this weekends repairs.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cab lights look great, but I'm biased. Glad your got the outer lights mounted correctly. Most people don't know they angle out.

FYI I ran into a problem with the fuel pump on my truck. The PO said he couldn't get it to fit, so he temporarily rigged up an electric. Turns out he was trying to use a 2WD version. The 454 4WD has a unique pump, at least for 3 port designs. It is shorter than the 2WD version causing a fit issue. In the series of pictures you can see my OEM pump, a Napa replacement and a Carter unit.

Napa has since changed from TRW (when I got this fuel pump) to Carter for their fuel pumps and no longer produce this shorter style pump. It is being advertised as the correct unit, but it is not. Airtex 41615 and BWD 41615 is the correct unit, but are out of production. I bought an NOS spare off eBay a couple of years ago.

Also that molded "S" hose is no longer produced and standard fuel line was kinking on me. I found that a 1970-81 Corvette with a 454 had a similar hose. I had to cut in the middle and add a small hard line to get the correct curve for my truck, but it works. Fuel line @ pump GM 3994298. Several of the Corvette parts houses carry this hose.

I was cleaning out my garage yesterday and came across my big block fuel pumps. Because of the differences you noticed, I checked mine out too. One is from a 4x4 K30 and the other from a 2wd C30. Both had pump bodies that were the same size, but the 4x4 pump had the inlet nipple tucked up close to the pump body, where the 2wd pump did not.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Youve got me hooked!! My 78 big 10 is the same colors plus my 94 burb looked pretty close to yours.

ronniebomb

Reaction score
First Name
ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
454/t400/np203
.....with that fine 409!

A high school buddy has his dads 63 SS with the 409 dual quad 4 speed....... ear to ear grin behind the wheel for sure!

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
I dig that color combo, nice score

Latest posts

Forum statistics