New Tires are Ugly. Bring the Classics Back!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
White letters out or gtfo!! :burnout:

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

These were on my square when I got it. 12 wide on a 10” wheel looks pretty good. Can’t speak for their performance but they’re still available and relatively cheap. Less than $100 a tire for most sizes.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ But those are basically available in only a couple? small sizes. Really only applicable to super small tire 2wd half tons. Not the type of tires and trucks we're discussing in this thread.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
^ But those are basically available in only a couple? small sizes. Really only applicable to super small tire 2wd half tons. Not the type of tires and trucks we're discussing in this thread.
Gotcha. Wasn’t sure. I’ll step out now :)

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
I agree, I don't like the busyniss on the side of A/T tires either, but after having 2 different sets of Hankook Dynapro AT's on my '15 Silverado in the past 3 years, I can tell you that you eventually get used to them, or overlook them. I would guess if you put some of the more mild designed sidewalls on your truck (Dynapro or KO2's) you would quickly find they do look pretty good, and will go well with your truck. You'll actually notice more frequently the 4-wheel drive trucks driving around with street tires after that. LOL.

iglehart332

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
So, you don't think the new version of the BF Goodwrench AT (the KO2) would look good on a square? When you look at the old version side by side, it still had a tread pattern that came down almost the same distance as the new KO2. It's just a different design, and more robust than the old version. Try Tire Rack's web site. Seems like they have a thing on there that shows what certain wheels and tires will look like

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I actually had KO2s on my C10.

Unfortunately she is no longer with us..

It was OK but I did regret not getting the KOs as at that time they were still available. I think like mentioned before they compliment better.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
General Grabber AT2's mounted on Outlaw Wheels look pretty good on a square....

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I actually had KO2s on my C10.

Unfortunately she is no longer with us..

It was OK but I did regret not getting the KOs as at that time they were still available. I think like mentioned before they compliment better.

That sucks. What happened to cause it to go up in flames?

iglehart332

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
That sucks. What happened to cause it to go up in flames?

Yeah it did suck. I'm not sure. It started in the engine bay.. All the old oil all over engine probably didn't help either. But now I got a K10 I'm taking down to the frame and having a LS swap done :cheers:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah it did suck. I'm not sure. It started in the engine bay.. All the old oil all over engine probably didn't help either. But now I got a K10 I'm taking down to the frame and having a LS swap done :cheers:

Good save on the K10, booo on the LS. I am not one that is for LS swaps. They were cool for a time, but I was never on board. I like the original stuff. Now, if I had a rat rod, LS is fair game. They are making it way easier to do the LS swaps, though, all kinds of kits out there.

iglehart332

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Good save on the K10, booo on the LS. I am not one that is for LS swaps. They were cool for a time, but I was never on board. I like the original stuff. Now, if I had a rat rod, LS is fair game. They are making it way easier to do the LS swaps, though, all kinds of kits out there.

Yeah I like the 350 but wanted more power. The truck had no engine when I bought it. The horsepower to fuel economy to cost just cant be beat with the LS. I want to daily this thing. Everything else though looks wise will be stock exterior/interior.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have two of these on the back, wish it was all 4. My father-in-law got them 15-20 years ago and only needed two tires at the time.

Power King, High Traction Radials. I don't think they are made anymore.

They have a vintage look. I'll be trying to keep it vintage when I get all 4 new. Probably bias ply mud and snow tires from STA or Power King.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI

These were on my square when I got it. 12 wide on a 10” wheel looks pretty good. Can’t speak for their performance but they’re still available and relatively cheap. Less than $100 a tire for most sizes.
these were on my square when I got it too. They're generally small and are some of the worst tires money can buy. I wouldn't put them on a beater truck, I'd go used instead.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
View media item 8443View media item 8441
I too am not a fan of the fancy new looking tires on simple squarebody trucks. They help in mud and do look pretty aggressive, but IMO the style looks very out of place on our trucks. When shopping for tires I specifically looked for tires that were fairly plain looking, wanted to keep the truck looking classic.

These were the 31s I had for a while before I had room for bigger tires, and the same as my current 33s. Tread pattern and performance are almost identical to the older BFG A/Ts, they perform really well and last a long time yet are still fairly inexpensive. They now also sell them with a full RWL like BFGs do instead of just the white outlines pictured here (which I would have rather had but they didn't offer them at the time)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade