New steering box and now this....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
With the noise it's making, that box was not rebuilt properly.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Crap happens sometimes but brakes and steering are definitely the most important components to get right. And leaving things loose as well as giving a poorly steering vehicle back to a customer are in my book very bad.

Hopefully no one got hurt or anything got damaged during this and the shop fixed the poor work for you. The worst part is if they then try and deny the problem was their fault.
Worst is I had to get towed home and I had a bent dust shield and a scratched wheel. I lived with it, I'll replace the dust shields when I upgrade the breaks to GXP. But was definitely no bueno

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Redhead makes the best steering boxes for square bodies

And they have a seal on the adjustment bolt. And the warranty is void if you turn the bolt.
They adjust it right and bench test it before they ship it to you.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
Interestingly, the ONLY way to set up a reman box is the put an inch pound torque wrench on it and adjust the preload screw on top. Sounds like ATROCIOUS quality control!

What did this surgery cost?

All rebuilding shops use minimum wage laborors, and they can be sharp and conscientious, or sloppy and uncaring.

A friend of mine runs a large-150 emoloyee- caliper alternator starter rebuilding shop.

Whenever I bring in a starter or water pump or alternator to rebuild, he'll put his "best guy" on my job, and sometimes they do a good job, sometimes a sloppy job, and rite in front of my eyes!

Sometimes you have to pay WAY more to get a really good part

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Bring the truck to another shop NOW !!! the box was NOT centered as it should have been this needs to be checked prior to any new parts being installed The reverse hour glass shape of the steering gear NEEDS to be centered prior to the box being installed and connected to the center link. The tie rod ends NEED to be re-adjusted to allow the box to operate in the center (Snug)position they are designed this way to provide tight (no free play when centered. any movement off of center will allow an easier movement in making turns and allowing return to center after a turn. Bet a beer that the steering wheel was removed and NOT properly installed to center the box for straight ahead driving. Get it fixed before you drive it any more. Open liability at the original place of repair for NOT knowing how to fix it right the first time!!

Drive Safe

Olnick

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I had a similar issue when I replaced my steering box. It was pouring out fluid. We centered the wheel and adjusted the linkage. It was fine for a couple of days until I heard a large pop. The axle was sliding along the front leaf spring pack. It had the same problems as as your truck. I couldn't turn right after the axle moved. I tightened the bolts and no problems since.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Now you can do the XJ shaft upgrade and really blow your mind on how nice the squarebody steering can be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128