New owner but older person,,,,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilike55s

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305?
Dang,,GUys,,,I'm impressed,,,!! What a warm welcome,,,best I've ever had to any new forum,,,,!!
Hey Craig85 ,,I'll have to take a closer look at the cab lights but the 3 closer to center of cab are same as your pic,.,I have not noticed if the two to the outside are aimed outward but I'm gonna look now,,,
Hey donnieray,,,do you remember which vehicle of the "late model" 5 hole wheels were on the C10 you had?? These are 5 on 4 3/4". Thanks to all.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Welcome from southern Missouri. Good to have you!

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. The cab lights were an option for 1/2T trucks IIRC.

Ilike55s

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305?
Again,,,Many Thanks for all the warm Welcomes, Guys,,!!
Well, I got the new column installed,, but got a big OH, OH,,the new ignition switch works like it supposed to but the engine won't crank. I can see the rod going from ignition cylinder down to the switch but "no Crank" The PO had a push button remote start, so I tried it and engine will crank and start but not with just the key. I changed the slide switch on the column with the one off the old column and same thing. I see two other "switches" way down on the end of the column by floorboard,,,could one of them be like a neutral safety switch to keep engine from cranking unless in park? I tried moving shifter up and down while holding key on but still no crank.
Is there a library on this site with wiring schematics to do some wire tracing?,,,Many Thanks again.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Again,,,Many Thanks for all the warm Welcomes, Guys,,!!
Well, I got the new column installed,, but got a big OH, OH,,the new ignition switch works like it supposed to but the engine won't crank. I can see the rod going from ignition cylinder down to the switch but "no Crank" The PO had a push button remote start, so I tried it and engine will crank and start but not with just the key. I changed the slide switch on the column with the one off the old column and same thing. I see two other "switches" way down on the end of the column by floorboard,,,could one of them be like a neutral safety switch to keep engine from cranking unless in park? I tried moving shifter up and down while holding key on but still no crank.
Is there a library on this site with wiring schematics to do some wire tracing?,,,Many Thanks again.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/1973-1991-wiring-manuals.14498/

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Neutal saftey switch, i think, is supposed to be on the column in the lower dash area. I am not sure tho because mine hangs loose(havnt had the time(or ambition) to get under the dash yet). I have had the wires(purple i think) come loose a couple times, causing me to crawl around and check my whole starting system before i found/remembered the problem. Definately worth checking. On my truck, iirc, it is a white plasic bodied switch with two purple wires to it. Also, maybe something in the remote start system?:33:

Ilike55s

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305?
Hey K201979,thanks for the reply,,,,I can see a white plastic "something" way down there on the very end of the column at the floorboard, but me being a 71 year old go-getter I'm gonna have to wait til my younger bro comes over and somehow entice him to check it out for me,,:favorites13:I think,,that I might just install a temp "jumper" between the two wires going to that switch up close to where I can reach both wires,,,just to prove/disprove the switch? BUT,,,this switch has two other wires connected to another part of the switch,,,,???
Think I better try to download SDJunkman's link for the wiring schematics,,,,,Ya think,,??

Ilike55s

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305?
OK,,Guys,,I gots just two easy questions for today,,,,,,lol.
First on the neutral safety switch, I could not get my fat hands on the little bitty screws to remove the switch that GM chose to hide it WAY down by the floorboard, so, I bit the bullet and just disconnected the whole dang column and removed it to get to that danged switch,,,did I mention what a BFG that is,,?? Anyway, the switch has issues inside it as my test meter did not show any continuity on the two lugs where the wiring goes. Went to O'Reillys but the switch they had was very different and the two lugs were not in same location and would of had to cut wires and do some SE so go back home and pull the switch from the old column. Opened the metal clips and the cleaned contacts with steel wool, regreased and reassembled and checked with my test meter and now has good results,,!! Worked the slide many times and switch is good to go,,!! Decided the other two wires are for the back-up lights so they will now work as well,,yea,,!!
Now for #2,,,,
I started the engine to see what the slight miss is and engine would barely run,,it has a new Quadrajet that PO said cost them $264 one year ago, plus about 4 1/2 miles of vac hoses that half of them were open ended and the others had been plugged with bolts,,!! I just happened to have a QJ to Holley/AFB adapter, so off comes the QJ and on goes the AFB plus out come all them friggin vac hoses except for the one for the power brake booster and the distributor. Installed new spark plugs and Engine fired right up but still ran kinda rough and would "backfire" out the carb every time you rev engine up,,,,?? Thinkin maybe a bad valve,,I pulled plugs and ran a compression test and all the cylinders got from 100# to 115# compression. CHIT,,,I figured at least one cylinder would show low numbers to explain the backfire,,,
Any good words of wisdom,,?? sure sounding like maybe a lobe off the camshaft,,,???? OH,,ratz

Ilike55s

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305?
Well,,Guys,,I just did NOT luck out on this one,,,removed the driver side valve cover and 3 of the 4 exhaust rocker arms do not move at all,,,, CHIT,,!! So, I'm in the process of pulling the engine for at least a cam change and a good cleaning of the back end as the PO must of been pouring the oil to this engine by the gallon,,it been leaking lots of oil for a long time!!
Now,,several people tell me the early 305s were very bad on flat cam lobes. Thinkin even with those compression numbers,,I'm gonna re-ring the engine while it is out and look at the bearings as well. Unless I can locate a good 350 to take it's place. Dang,,it;s time to go to work,,,,,,

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
IMHO, 305's make a great boat anchor.

Welcome from Georgia!

and nice work tracking down the problem switch and effecting repairs!

Ilike55s

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
305?
Well,,Gents,,I did not luck out on the 305,,,and since I don't gots a boat,,I'm gonna have to do a rebuild on this 305 unless ya'll think I better go get me another engine. Got it tore down and there are 7 of the 16 lobes on the cam that are as flat as the beer I forgot on the counter a couple of weeks ago,,,!! The lifters to those lobes are also wore in a convex on the mating surfaces,,,,WTH,,??
What is the general consensus of "What Happened?" OIL PUMP?? Inside of block and engine as a whole was getting plenty of oil everywhere,,so What happened??
I am now leery of putting a bunch of dollars into a rebuild if this is an inherrant problem with the 305's,,,?? I have been looking around for a 350 but no luck yet unless you want to pay out $1000 for one with no written guarantee,,,
What ya'll think,,???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes