"New" motor- what to go through?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottyknows50

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Tomorrow I am going to look at a '77 parts truck for my '79 K10. Truck comes with a running 383 stroker that I would like to use to replace my 350 eventually. Anyone have a list I can use to check through it? Or do I just get a re-ring or rebuild kit from Summit, do that, and call it good? This will be the first motor I've pulled, but I have plenty of time and tools and am not in a rush. Thanks.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Can you start the '77 truck and hear it run before you remove it? If so you can then do a compression check on it. Also when you start it watch the exhaust pipes to see if it smokes on start up. If it smokes then the valve guides are probably worn. Could then let it run a bit to warm up, then hold it at a pretty high idle (2500-3000) then let off on the gas. If it starts smoking a lot that can be the rings.
How is the color of the engine oil? If it looks tan and "creamy" that can mean a bad head gasket or a cracked head (antifreeze is mixing with the oil).

scottyknows50

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Going to look at 2:00- I will check those things when I get there, thanks.

scottyknows50

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Noticed no smoking, idled well. Started very easily. Holley carb and Edelbrock intake. Looked like the oil pan may need a new gasket- everything else seemed pretty clean. Anyone have any advice on what to look at when I get the engine out and on a stand?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barnabyjo