New member with questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin86K10

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Morning,

My name's Austin and I'm new to this forum. I'm in the process of fixing rust and restoring my 1986 k10. I've got a couple questions to ask and a few pictures to post of where I'm at in the whole process. I sandblasted the frame with a blaster I bought from HF and hand painted it with KBS Rust Seal, removed the engine and painted it, swapped the th350 for a 700R4 and NP208 that I had in the shop for the extra gear.

So, my questions...

1. In the picture with my cab floor, should this be replaced or do you think it will stop spreading if I sand as much of it out as I can and use some type of rust stopper and paint it with the same Rust Seal as the frame?

2. I removed the rear window and found the rust on the bottom edge. What's the best way with going about this?

3. When I removed the cab, a rear bolt broke off in the cab and the nut is spinning in there. Cut a square out of the floor and remove the nut and bolt then re weld a nut in and weld the floor back, right? The bolt broke flush with the bottom of the cab.

4. When replacing the body mounts, I only have two good upper body mount spacers (the radiator core support) so I need 4 new ones. They're the washer looking ones with the metal shaft in the center that the bolt slides through. Where can I get these or can I just get a thick spacer or weld up my own box-like replica to put the upper body mount in? Has anyone used a flat piece of steel instead of these $20 a piece parts from LMC?

5. I need a slip yoke for my 700R4. Summit Racing has decent prices for a new one but they have different lengths. What's the stock length for a 4x4 with an NP208?

I know I'm asking for a lot but I figured I'd just put it all into one post. Thanks for all your help in advance and I'm open to any and all suggestions. This is my first resto project and was my first truck when I was 15 (now 22). I'll hand the keys to somebody else when they shovel dirt over my face.

Attachments

• IMG_6792.jpg
    IMG_6792.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6830.jpg
    IMG_6830.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7183.jpg
    IMG_7183.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7241.jpg
    IMG_7241.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_7247.jpg
    IMG_7247.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 94

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Floor rust looks cleanable if it is not all the way theough. Window edge would need to be fixed with either donor sheet metal or just cut/bent to fit pieces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy