new member... i think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Catmandoo

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
To start off with, I have a problem letting go of stuff. Maybe members on here will identify with me. I bought this truck in 01/85 looking a lot like it did in the first photo, pulled the engine and sold it after a few months, (which was a very recently rebuilt 350 with cam, intake, headers), and stuffed a fresh, warmed over 454 in it. I won't drag this out too far but I briefly tried selling it sometime after that and then pulled it off the road pretty much exactly 31 years ago and it's never been outside since other than a few hours to move it from one house to the next. I tried selling it again last week to make room for my other project and was shocked by the response. I decided within 24 hours for various reasons, that I couldn't let another vehicle go that I would seriously regret. So... the rebuild begins. I'm looking for some opinions on drivetrain, suspension, bumper, etc options. I still have most of the pieces for the 454 but would want to upgrade a lot of it with the much better stuff available now. It made very good power and laid a licking on some unsuspecting Mustangs and such that were new at that time. I also have a Dmax and an LS that would be interesting but not period correct. I will post pics in its current state shortly.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome. I vote Duramax....and keep the outside as stock appearing as possible.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy! That first picture should be the goal again, IMHO. It's hard to beat perfection!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What he said^^^^ I hope you still have those rims....round eyes should of come factory with them or slots. And a Duramax under the hood.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
What he said^^^^ I hope you still have those rims....round eyes should of come factory with them or slots. And a Duramax under the hood.

Only trouble with those old hurricanes, is they're a 16.5 diameter. I've got a set of the 12 wides. Not a huge selection of tires available anymore.

Edit: I really wish someone would make some repops of that style in a regular 16 x 8 size. I'd be all over a set of those.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Only trouble with those old hurricanes, is they're a 16.5 diameter. I've got a set of the 12 wides. Not a huge selection of tires available anymore.

Edit: I really wish someone would make sone repops of that style in a regular 16 x 8 size. I'd be all over a set of those.
And let me guess there isn't enough meat on them to remachine for 16" tires?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Not sure it's something I'd want to try.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh **** it's got bumper gaurds too....:happy175::happy175::happy175:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think the tire selection might be better above a 36" or 37" offroad tire. Virtually nothing left for mild use below that size.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Not sure it's something I'd want to try.
It really isn't that much and if a machinist is gonna do it might as well have them sonic tested to see is it would be thick enough.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I think the tire selection might be better above a 36" or 37" offroad tire. Virtually nothing left for mild use below that size.
What's wrong with 36s? 36s and your thunder road bed would be badass you already got tons so no worries.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
What's wrong with 36s? 36s and your thunder road bed would be badass you already got tons so no worries.

I'd have to lift it to clear the front fenders. Not looking to gain any altitude or make an off roader out of it.

You know, now that I think of it, the '84 k10 I had years ago had a set of 15" hurricanes on it. Anyone with a 6 lug pattern wouldn't have a hard time at all finding tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10