New K30 on the block!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trevor

Reaction score
First Name
trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hello guys, im Trevor from Brenham, TX. This is my awsome new project. Its a 1987 TBI 454 k30 single wheel. My plans for this truck are as follows.

1. Get it running!!! Its been sitting for about a year so its not that bad. That way i can see is the sm465 and np205 are working allright. Something is wrong with the fuel injection system and i cant figure out what it is so i think i will slap a carb ond a distributor on it so i can put around in the pasture.

2. Lift it to the moon!!!!!! Just kidding, though i do plan on around 10 inches of suspinsion lift.

3. Rebuild those awsome axles and install ARB lockers. Maybe remove the inner nuckles on the front dana 60 so i can adjust the pinion angle and keep the castor good too, though im not sure if thats necessary for 10-12" of lift. guess ill ask you guys about that when the time comes.

4. Slap some 40"+ meats on it. Not sure what brand/type. I need something that will work good in deep mud and is still okay on the street. I have plenty of time to figure it out.

Between all that probably rebuild that motor with oval port heads and a better fuel system. Restore the whole truck inside and out because its pretty rough.

I plan on starting a thread once i get something constructive going. Ive just been piddling around lately with it because its been so HOT down here in TX.

Im glad to be part of this awsome comunnity
later guys

Attachments

• IMG_20120812_101748.jpg
    IMG_20120812_101748.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20120812_101803.jpg
    IMG_20120812_101803.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 122
  • rezized3.jpg
    rezized3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 127

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard man! :grd:

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Cool truck! Welcome

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Awesome truck man! Welcome to GMSB

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Welcome
good to see another trevor

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
well if hes not a "1 and done" then i would be willng to bet we could get him running with out a carb.

trevor

Reaction score
First Name
trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I havnt given up on that tbi just yet, im still tinkering with it.

The first problem I had was that my intectors werent spraying fuel and is still a problem not fixed.

The problem im having now is my fuel pump relay is not getting power, it just quit working after I switched my fuel tank switch from left to right. Once i did that I turned the key and i heard what sounded like the relay or a fuse pop and the relay quit getting power. Ive checked all the fuses and replaced the relay, still nothing.

Im not sure what the heck happened, but im still working on it.
Any insite to this mystery is welcome.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I havnt given up on that tbi just yet, im still tinkering with it.

The first problem I had was that my intectors werent spraying fuel and is still a problem not fixed.

The problem im having now is my fuel pump relay is not getting power, it just quit working after I switched my fuel tank switch from left to right. Once i did that I turned the key and i heard what sounded like the relay or a fuse pop and the relay quit getting power. Ive checked all the fuses and replaced the relay, still nothing.

Im not sure what the heck happened, but im still working on it.
Any insite to this mystery is welcome.

First things first. If you checked the relay and it wasn't getting power then a new relay is no suprise to me that it didnt work. None the less your making an effort.
A tip for you in diagnostics, ALWAYS start with the easiest tests, (fuses). Dont confuse that with buying the cheapest parts and trying them first that is NOT diagnostics. But whats done is done no biggie now.

You said it all happened AFTER you tried to SWITCH the tanks? Your selector valve could quite possably be shorted out there is a wiring diagram on here for the TBI systems somewhere, If I can find the diagram I can give you a flow of diagnostics to check with out having to spend anymore money that isnt needed. But essecitaily you need to check to see if your even getting power at the valve, then at the pumps. but let me try to find the diagram

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Heres a wiring diagram. but it doesnt have the schematics for the switching valve.
attachment.php

trevor

Reaction score
First Name
trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks for the wiring diagram. I have not seen this version yet, only the ones on autozone.com and they are a little different. The 20 amp fuse coming from the junction box to the relay intrigues me. On my diagram it shows a 3 amp fuse and i cant find any thing though i havnt gotten a chance to really look. It just seems like they would have put something like that in an easily located and accessible location.
I did replace the switch after this happened. The previous owner had solderd some wire in it to fix a burnt trace.
Ill have time to mess with it on saturday so we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aultinator