New guy keepin' the Square in the family

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys, checking in from Southern, IN with my newly acquired 78' Scottsdale K20. Little background on the truck, my dad bought it brand new at local dealership he was turning wrench's at and has had it ever since. I grew up with the truck and learned to drive in it. My dad now has 3 trucks and I have been without one for a couple of years, so for my birthday this year he gave me the keys and title to Ole' Blue. The truck has spent it's life on my parents farm so it is fairly beat up with rust in several places, but I still love it. It has standard 350, 4 speed manual, NP205 and just rolled over 96k miles. I don't know much on axles, or what gearing the truck has but from what I've read and comparing to what I see on the truck it appears to have a Dana 44 with the Spicer manual hubs up front and a 14 bolt FF rear. Truck has sat in barn on the farm for the past 2 years as my dad now has a side-by-side that he uses to check on cows and so on and newer trucks for hauling. Put a new battery in it, and a few pumps of the throttle it fired right up. Only issue was clutch was stuck, so dad and I dropped the transmission and transfer case and replaced clutch. I'd say the original clutch served quite well lasting 38 years. I was then able to drive it home to it's new home. I plan to just use it through this winter to haul wood, then next year park it in garage and start tearing it apart for a restore project in which time I'll start a build thread then. Anyways, onto some pics.

truck new when my dad first brought it home.
You must be registered for see images attach

me in the truck as a little guy

How truck looks now when I drove it home the other night.

and my daughter posing in Ole' Blue

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
AH ole blue my gpa had an ole blue it was an 88 so new body style but i loved that truck always had that old farm truck smell thats awesome man it still looks pretty clean

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
AH ole blue my gpa had an ole blue it was an 88 so new body style but i loved that truck always had that old farm truck smell thats awesome man it still looks pretty clean

thanks for the reply. Yes it definitely has the farm truck smell. The one and only time my wife has ever rode in it so far was back when we were just dating. We were going out through the field and a mouse ran out from under the dash and across her feet. She about jumped out of the truck as I laughed my ass off. Needless to say it's sitting outside of the garage until I get a chance to clean it out really well to rid it of any varmits that may have taken up residency in it. Also In the process of adding an attached garage to the house, so at this time the detached garage is full of crap with our cars barely fitting. Once the house addition is done and our cars moved to new garage, the truck will have it's own garage space.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum! That's a very cool truck, and it has a very sweet story behind it. I hope everything goes well for you with it.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
truck new when my dad first brought it home.

How truck looks now when I drove it home the other night.

In nearly 40 years, it looks like the only thing the truck has seen is a little bit of dust collected from a light rain.

Quick wash and a polish will get her looking brand new all over again! Welcome to the board.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In nearly 40 years, it looks like the only thing the truck has seen is a little bit of dust collected from a light rain.

Quick wash and a polish will get her looking brand new all over again! Welcome to the board.

I wish it were that easy. Rockers are gone, cab corners gone, bottom corners of doors gone, lower parts of the front fenders gone, and bedsides dented in on both sides thanks to cows out in field while feeding. I guess the pics make it look like a good 50 ft'er haha. But it will work great for me; already put to work this week hauling wood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77